« A book review | Main | From The Car To The Mall And Back Again »

Sound Mapping

The area I chose was inside my apartment as I got ready to leave for the day. I picked my particular area because I knew there were sounds there that I never had truly paid that close attention to. I thought that this would be a good way to highlight some interesting sounds that never really get listened to. I discovered that some sounds that I thought would be interesting turned out to not be that good when they were recorded. Conversely, there were sounds that I did not expect to use but I ended up using them. I organized my sounds in a somewhat chronological way. I started my day and continued until I was outside of my apartment recording along the way. I used a fair amount of stereo effects to create a sense of movement and location. I also used tempo and pitch effects in order to get particular sounds to create a more musical effect. The process came a little less naturally than I had originally expected. The program was fairly easy to use, but that does not mean I did not struggle trying to get the sounds I wanted to. In the end it was fun, but I feel I could spend more time expanding on what I have.

I liked how your piece had a rhytmic, moving feel to it. The background "beat" or whatever it was really made all the sounds work well together. I also liked how it moved from beginning to end in chronological order, and is not just random sounds put together. You did a good job editing, because I can't tell by listening to it where you cut different noises out, or rearranged them in a different order. I can't think of any changes to make, because everything worked well together.

I really enjoyed the way rhythm was used to tie this piece together. I also liked the way stereo spacialization was used during the tooth brushing segment. I thought the sounds we're pretty well recorded and definitely effective at portraying the environment.

I found this piece to be pretty interesting. The rythmic backgound was a neat addition to the sounds of getting ready for the day. I am not sure if it was intentional or not but the backgound rythm mixed with the sounds of the everyday routine that is done to get ready for the day ended up portraying how robotic we are in doing those things. I really liked the spatialization that you did with the tooth brushing part of this piece. Overall I think that this piece did a good job portraying the enviroment it was done in.