« The Bar Story | Main | Sound Project #1 »

First Sound Piece

I chose to record sounds while going on a walk around Lake Harriet. I decided on that location because I've always found that particular lake to be the most relaxing and enjoyable to walk around. I picked a pretty windy day to go out and record sounds so there was a lot of material I couldn't use. I also didn't expect to hear the song 'Baby Love' at the end of my excursion. I organized my sounds in the order of which I walked. That part was rather easy for me. The most challenging part was finding clips that were easy enough to hear through all the wind. I used a lot of the fade in/fade out effect. I like this effect because it makes everything flow better. I also amplified a couple parts, for example, I made the clip with the crickets louder. The process of this project was very stressful for me because I was having technical difficulties for about a day. When I figured that part out it went alright. Editing takes forever! It was a good experience but I'm glad it's over.

I shared the artist’s feelings of a peaceful walk around Lake Harriet. The sounds of the water sounded great and had a very relaxing feel to them. I gained an appreciation for how tranquil going for a walk can be. It is something I rarely do, but this piece represented something that although not very exciting, it was something very beautiful. I think the artist’s intent was fully recognized in the way they represented this walk. The sound was good, and I understand the issue there was with the wind. There was some discontinuity when switching between tracks but that could be easily fixed by slightly adjusting some levels between tracks.

Some of the sounds capured in this piece had really great quality expecially the water sounds. My interpretation took a step in a different direction than the intended. Some of the sounds you found were very unique and it was interesting hearing ones that I couldn't interpret what they were being made from. The editing was a little choppy making this seem less like a journey and more like a survey of different sounds from different areas. Although that might not have been the intent it didn't necessarily detract from the piece as a whole, it just changed the perspective of where the listener was in space and time.

This piece was fun to listen to because I myself have been around Lake Harriet many times myself. The editing didn't always flow together that naturally, but you made up for that with a lot of interesting and varied sounds that always kept things interesting. I thought the song "Baby Love" towards the end gave it an interesting twist. Good job overall.