« Pranking Basics | Main | How to do a neat card trick. »

How to Cook a S'more in the Microwave

My video, “How to Cook a S’more in the Microwave? is a hybrid

between a simple instruction that is coordinated with a spy fill spoof. My aim was to create a narrative that was strong, yet typical and “cheesy? and still show a sub-context of instructing a person how to cook a s’more in the microwave. I wanted to take common elements of a spy movie/ show and combine them to tell the story. Some of those components are the narrator in his mysterious tone and dress. I added the typewriter effect to date the film back into the past. I also tried to make the characters in a humorous way to give them some personality. It was difficult to give the graham crackers a personality because they are inanimate objects, but I added different faces, and different voices to make each one a little different. I also tried to make Detective Michaels a very self-involved person.
I think that the setting was successful with the mix of typewriter and bold font in top of the bright orange scene and music. I thought it was a strange yet successful melding of 60’s spy show and 70’s spy show/movie. I also tried to make every element purposeful. I used transitions that were effective in the storytelling. For example, I used the additive transition to show flashing of a camera, or to go along with the orchestra hits in the music or the clock transition to show a passing of time. I also chose to spin some of the words with the s’more was in the microwave to show that the microwave plate was also spinning while making the “haha? blinking to mimic the rhythm of the audio. I feel like these elements used to tell the narrative came together in a successful way and I am pretty pleased with my final product.

I think that this was a very well put together video. It was also very creative with putting together both a short narrative story and how to make a smore in the same film. I liked how from the rough draft to the final you added a little more story to it with giving the parts of the smore a little bit of a persona. After watching it again I did notice that the asudio was synced up pretty well for the narrator since it was recorded at a different time. Using the typer writer style of text was a good choice since it also adds to the feeling of a spy film. Overall the film was nicely done.

You did an amazing job of editing on your video. The shots you used were very well done. I especially like things like the mug shots, the changing light with music, and the close ups on the shifty eyes. The deep narrative voice really added to the mysterious feel of the video. Again, like we talked about in class, the personification of the smore parts was good, but it could have been elaborated on.

I thought that all of your scenes were well thought-out and that the background colors of the table and everything worked really well in your video. You explained clearly how to make a s'more, and all of the ingredients were set up well in your camera shots. At the end, I didn't get why you were eating the smore that way, although it was pretty funny to watch. Maybe that was the point? Overall, I thought you did a great job for a first video project.

I really liked the changes you made in your video since the rough draft. The whole narrative like aspect you added made the video even more entertaining to watch. I think the color and quality of lighting really helped add to the visual appeal of the video. The music and sounds you added as well made your project fun. Overall very nicely done and quite professional looking.