« in search of... | Main | An Evening with John and Jane »

7 Ate 9: A Musical Number

When I first started coming up with my ideas for a stop motion movie, I wanted to do something that was creative, unique, weird, and funny, and after a long time of brainstorming, I came up with a strange idea based on the old children's joke, "Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 ate 9." I then came up with the story of a land of magic numbers where the number 7 hunts down the number 9, and eats him. The number 6 becomes afraid, and he calls me to come kill the number 7. I decided I would tell the story in the form of a musical-esque song that I would write and record. I first wanted to use cardboard cutouts for the numbers, but then decided it would be easier with using a white board and markers. I recorded the song, filmed the animation, and then filmed my part in the movie. I moved in slow increments and inserted the shots into the movie in order to create stop motion for my parts, as well. I then filmed me singing the song in the same way. I put the telling of the joke at the beginning of the movie, so that people would understand the concept, and then ended it with credits and the bizarre song "Revolution 9" by The Beatles, which I thought was a fitting and weird ending to the already strange movie. In the end, I like the way the movie came together, and I feel it is something that is pretty different. It was a fun and enjoyable process, overall.

This video was a great example of animation as well as a clever music video. There was obviously a lot of time that was put into the entire production. The use of the joke was a very original idea and down to the title "A musical number" was very funny. The piece kept me wanting more. I feel like this project could go on and on, because the first part was so great.

This video was clever all around. Both the song and the video to go with it were funny and entertaining. The animations were well drawn and you could tell by just looking at the numbers what their personalities were like. The story was very creative with the use and expansion of an old joke. Overall I found this to be a really enjoyable video.

I liked how you took a simple joke and turned it into an assassination story/musical. The animations were great and I liked you lyrics. The music and the animation fit nicely together. I thought it was a good idea to add the joke before the video because it help set up the video and made things clear. Overall good job I really enjoyed it.

Overall, a very clever and funny video. It must have taken a lot of time and careful thought to sync the words of the song to the stop motion of you singing it. I found it interesting how the song revolution 9 followed the video; just because it's such a twisted song and such a funny video.

This video obvously took quite amount of time and planing to get to the point where it is now. This singing is amazing as well as the animation. The animation is so good because you can easily see the difference in the personalities of the characters by the way they are drawn. No really big criticism that I can think of, great job.

I like the idea that this video sprang from. You used something simple that people take for granted and turn it into a well-evolved storyline. I like the abruptenss of the ending. Although it may seem to leave some things unsolved, I think this is a positive thing--the story remains succinct. You did a really nice job of giving life to your characters which is something that I have wrestled with in my pieces.