« Artist visit; David Feinberg- Voices to Vision | Main | Artist Presentation: Golan Levin »

Artist visit; Jim Denomie-"Brown-eyed Rabbit"

Jim Denomie is an Anishinaabe (that’s an Ojibwe Indian to some and a Chippewa to others) artist who hails from the Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Ojibwe by way of Chicago and Minneapolis, His latest exhibition “Brown-eyed Rabbit? is currently being shown at the Bockly Gallery in South Minneapolis. Jim paints in a very expressionistic style in which he uses vibrant colors and loose brush strokes to convey a satirical story about contempery Native Americans and their perceived role in a maladaptive society in which Identity has been comodified and molested. He uses historical narratives and tried clichés from pop culture to evoke questions about our Nation and the estrangement of marginalized cultures. He tries to tear down these perceptions of Native America to help construct the evolved Native identity. A lot of his works depict how popular culture conceives Native American as wild shirtless, feather wearing, horse riding, primative savages set in a modern environment. This relationship appears abserd when you see a naked Indian riding a horse with a bow and arrow on a golf course- but the absurd is what Jim is trying to depict; the perceived identity of native Americans to that of the actual contemporary identity.

Hi there...please, what's the meaning of "Anishinaabe" and "Ojibwe" that you mentioned in your first line...??

Anishinaabe- is a human being; a Native American from the Great lakes region. from the Algonquin language group. Ojibwe is the treaty name for the same people.

oh, i see...tanx for the quick response!

I have not checked in here for a while since I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess Iˇ¦ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)