Final Blog!

There weren't really any topics that I felt needed any further clarification. I felt that the jost inforamtive activity for me was the teach the class activity. I enjoyed all of the discussion. Sometimes my classmates end up losing my attention a few times throughout their presentation. This is no fault of their own, it's just that in a classroom lecture the professor is trained and wants to be in front of the classroom, my peers however, really aren't rained in making me learn and holding my attention.

I though that the tipping point discussions really kept my attention and helped me learn alot more about the chapters than just reading the book. With presentations I may have a question but I tend to forget it by the end. I took alot more out of the tipping point than I think that I did from the other books.

I felt like I could have gotten alot more out of WebQuest if I had had more time to prepare and a longer time to speak. Instead of being concerned with the actualy content I was more concerned with how I was going to fit a good amount of information into about a three minute period. I haven't started the paper yet, but I do think that I will tak emuch more out of that assignment than the speech.

I think that the class was exactly what I thought that it would be and I took more out of it than I expected.

Posted by at at 8:39 PM

Hem and Haw...

I definately have been in a rut like that before. Ober the summer I worked as a marketing intern at a staffing agency. I liked that I had a full time job and I liked how much I made, except I hated the work. My boss (the owner of the company) was somewhat crazy. She would forget to tell me things, then get mad at me for never doing these tasks that she never told me about. Actually, the there was a Hem and Haw calendar at the front desk and my boss would refer to Hem and Haw all the time.

The fact that she would refer to Hem and Haw at all was very surprising to me since she hates change. I once changed the label of a file on teh computer from temp files to temporary files and I got a 35 minute lecture because of it. There was actually a policy that read that creativity was detrimental to work and that it is discouraged in the workplace.

It was very hard to work at this place. After a few weeks of just dredding work I decided that I would just go, do my job, and try to make the best of the situation. So I would go into work, do whatever pointless task I was told to do and I wouldn't let it bother me. Not letting the silly things bothered me really helped. I just kind of chose to make the rest of my summer good by not letting my dislike for my work affect my mood.

Posted by at at 11:05 PM

Something that has tipped....

I think that something that has tipped recently are those coffee machines that only make one serving. They have been around for a little while now and at first they did not tip. I have been noticing more recently the appearance of the coffeemaker under different brands. This indicates to me that other companies are seeing the usefullness of this product and are copying it. The first brand that I can recalll that was producing this system was the "pod" brand. I notcied these maybe two years ago or so (while working at Target I sometimes see the new product trends). I'm actually not quite sure if that is the bland or just a segment of a larger brand.

The slowness of the rise of this product(in my opinion) can be explaned when looking at the diffussion model. The product was introduced and first only the innovators had caught on. It is said in Gladwell's book that there is a larger gap between the innovators and the early adopters. After the early adopters comes the early majority, the late majority, and then the laggards. At this point in the product's cycle I'd say that the early majority have just recently caught on, which has caused the product to tip.

The product was first being advertised in more upscale magazines. There was a small buzz about the product but not really a huge one. I believe that it was the rumors of the usefullness of the product and the prestige of the product is what has forced the product to tip.

Posted by at at 11:59 PM

Tipping Point Reflections

Well, something that I liked about the Tipping Point novel was the relateablility of the information. I said this in class, but I really do think that anyone can read this book and relate it to their own live's in one aspect or another. An example of this was in looking at our discussions in class. Priscilla made a comment about her church and the magic number of 150. We also talked about cigarettes and smoking when drinking. We also talked about the jingles that we remember and how they are sticky. There were so many very different comments made about the book and very different examples of principles in the book that really proves my idea that everyone can take away something from this book.

I did also enjoy the diffusion of innovation model in my chapter, chapter six. I didn't really talk about it that much because I wanted to leave a sufficient amount of time for people to discuss. But I did really enjoy this model. I liek the idea that there are these innovators and that there is a gap between them and everyone else. I liked that Translators are people that help get ideas from these innovators over to the rest of the population. I just really like ther relationship that was made there.

Posted by at at 7:22 PM

After our Group Presentation...

I think that my group worked pretty well together. I'm not sure how to describe the roles in the group. We were altogether pretty relaxed in our meetings and our group was relaxed with presenting. My motivation was honestly pretty low until a few days before we had to present. We spilt up the work so I'm not exactly sure how the other group members did with distribution of work time but I definately left things until the last minute.
Everyone's attitude in the group, again, was pretty relaxed the enitre time. We got distracted sometimes but since we all knew that this needed to get done we would always quickly get back onto topic.
The only regret that I have is that I didn't try to pick a part that invovled more of a speech than a discussion. Since I like to speak in front of people and I found that I wasn't that good with tthe discussion part. I was also kind of thinking that I should have been like the first group with giving the candy for participating, and not just to everyone at the end. Their group had alot of responses for the discussion. The only reason why I didn't was because when the other group gave candy away for the participation then the discussion became unstructured because everyone was yelling out their answers.
In future discussions that I run I will make more of an effort to get people participating, maybe start to call on people.

Posted by at at 6:19 PM

Reflections on Breeze

The breeze activity was very helpful with our group's discussion. I like that it was so easy to insert links. It was not that hard to figure out the tone that people would actually say things in because the people in my group used emoticons and also it was very easy because I have actually met all of my team members, this makes it easier to imagine how they would be saying all of the things out loud. I liked that there were also tools on there that you could draw or sketch something for the group....to make the point clearer. I thought for this project, learning how to use it and stuff, we didn't get as much work done as we could have. A problem with it was that I would be researching online and there would be a conversation going on and i wouldn't know it at all. But otherwise, I thought that it was a pretty good resource.

Posted by at at 6:24 PM

Emotional Intelligence Reflection

I think that the Emtional Intelligence issue was based mostly on common sense. I don't want that statement to misinterpreted to mean useless. Even though the concepts are basic, not everyone applies them to working with their teams. I think that the "prevent relapse", "reinforce change", and "evaluate" parts in the chart in Goleman's book in chapter 11 were very good ones to apply to most business tasks. To do thesse things when referring to emotional intelligence is very helpful too. One must keep evaluating themselves to keep growing. Some examples of an evaluation are inventories or a paper liek the one we wrote in class. These things are very helpful to realize strengths and weaknesses. They are also helpful for self-confidence because you can see how well you have improved from the last time that you took an inventory.

Posted by at at 11:06 PM

Dysfunctional roles

The dysfunctional role that I worry about the msot is the distractor. It is somewhat strange too because sometimes I think that distractions are needed to relief stress. But I also think that there is a fine line between constructive distractions and destructive distractions. A distraction like we discussed in class, ordering food for everyone, or just taking a break in a meeting, I think that those are good for a group dynamic. It is just like how i think that humor and relaxation are good things.

And as I said, there is a fine line. I tend joke around too often in meetings, and this may be harmful for the group.. I guess the best thing to do to help this behavior is to keep track of time better. Maybe if I kept track of time then the realization would set in that we need to really get things done. Also I think that when you have a good team and everyone understands how the other people are then it is easier for other people to keep you on track as well. I also think that if there is a task that REALLY needs to get done, I would be able to step up, and if it is a good team, then everyone else would be able to step up as well.

Also, a good way for me to deal with my distracting behavior is probably to just remember to keep myself on task. I generally don't distract people just because I am uncomfortable with conflict, as the book says, it's just generally because I am bored. So a solution for me would be to just remember that the task we are doing is important and needs to get done.

By the way, in thh book why is the distractor always referred to as a her?

Posted by at at 10:40 PM

Mission Statement

My mission is to work at a job that I enjoy, to have a lifestyle that makes me happy, and to always have my priorities in order.
This mission statement was somewhat difficult to develop. I did this project in another class however it was completely based on my future career. I don't really have any high aspirations for my career. I just want a job that I can tolerate (hopefully one that I can enjoy) and life that I can love. My job does not really mean that much to me. I really only care about the type of people that I work with.

I suppose that my mission statement may tell people that I wouldn't work that well with a team because I don't really care abou thte job.. However, that is not true. Every job that I have had I have tried my best at, even if I don't like it. I work in teams and I think I work well in teams. My mission statement says that I will have a job when I am older. My main goal in regards to my job is to have one that I like, this is really the only reason why I go to school, to be qualified for a job that I like.

I also plan to have a family one day and a job that I like will make things easier on everybody. Once I have a family of my own, my motivation will probably be geared towards providing a good home for them. For now, most of my motivation comes from the desire to do well. My desire to do well has to do with having my priorities in order. A priority of mine is to not be ashamed of my actions. By trying my best with every action, I am keeping in line with my priorities and therefore, my mission statement.

Posted by at at 9:59 PM

Six Months To Live...

Six Months to live..... What would I do??? If I had six months to live then I would drop out of school right away, 4 years of school is nothing if I'm thinking that I have at least 50 years left in me, and even though I do think that school is important, I think that being with the people I care about and havng fun is more important. I am assuming htat I have 6 "good" months, six months were I am not just in a hospital having visitors and pre-planned meals. I would go sky-diving, I know that that it is EXTREMELY cliche, however, it is something that I have always wanted to do. I would move back to Milwaukee to be with my family. I think that I would take my sister on a vacation, my sister and I get along so well that a few days alone with her would be great. I would visit Canada to see my grandparents. Right now, I do have a serious boyfriend and I would spend alot of time with him too. I think that I would want to spend as much time with all of them as possible. I am also not sure that I would want to tell my family members about my situation until after my "healthy" period. I wouldn't want them to always be sad during this period, I wouldn't want to basically ruin my six months by having to deal with all off the emotions, I would want to enjoy myself. I know that it would be very selfish of me not to tell them, but if I were six months from death, I would be completely selfish. Also, honestly, I would have sex alot.

Posted by at at 12:08 AM