Hem and Haw...

I definately have been in a rut like that before. Ober the summer I worked as a marketing intern at a staffing agency. I liked that I had a full time job and I liked how much I made, except I hated the work. My boss (the owner of the company) was somewhat crazy. She would forget to tell me things, then get mad at me for never doing these tasks that she never told me about. Actually, the there was a Hem and Haw calendar at the front desk and my boss would refer to Hem and Haw all the time.

The fact that she would refer to Hem and Haw at all was very surprising to me since she hates change. I once changed the label of a file on teh computer from temp files to temporary files and I got a 35 minute lecture because of it. There was actually a policy that read that creativity was detrimental to work and that it is discouraged in the workplace.

It was very hard to work at this place. After a few weeks of just dredding work I decided that I would just go, do my job, and try to make the best of the situation. So I would go into work, do whatever pointless task I was told to do and I wouldn't let it bother me. Not letting the silly things bothered me really helped. I just kind of chose to make the rest of my summer good by not letting my dislike for my work affect my mood.

Posted by at December 7, 2005 11:05 PM