Something that has tipped....

I think that something that has tipped recently are those coffee machines that only make one serving. They have been around for a little while now and at first they did not tip. I have been noticing more recently the appearance of the coffeemaker under different brands. This indicates to me that other companies are seeing the usefullness of this product and are copying it. The first brand that I can recalll that was producing this system was the "pod" brand. I notcied these maybe two years ago or so (while working at Target I sometimes see the new product trends). I'm actually not quite sure if that is the bland or just a segment of a larger brand.

The slowness of the rise of this product(in my opinion) can be explaned when looking at the diffussion model. The product was introduced and first only the innovators had caught on. It is said in Gladwell's book that there is a larger gap between the innovators and the early adopters. After the early adopters comes the early majority, the late majority, and then the laggards. At this point in the product's cycle I'd say that the early majority have just recently caught on, which has caused the product to tip.

The product was first being advertised in more upscale magazines. There was a small buzz about the product but not really a huge one. I believe that it was the rumors of the usefullness of the product and the prestige of the product is what has forced the product to tip.

Posted by at 11:59 PM

Tipping Point Reflections

Well, something that I liked about the Tipping Point novel was the relateablility of the information. I said this in class, but I really do think that anyone can read this book and relate it to their own live's in one aspect or another. An example of this was in looking at our discussions in class. Priscilla made a comment about her church and the magic number of 150. We also talked about cigarettes and smoking when drinking. We also talked about the jingles that we remember and how they are sticky. There were so many very different comments made about the book and very different examples of principles in the book that really proves my idea that everyone can take away something from this book.

I did also enjoy the diffusion of innovation model in my chapter, chapter six. I didn't really talk about it that much because I wanted to leave a sufficient amount of time for people to discuss. But I did really enjoy this model. I liek the idea that there are these innovators and that there is a gap between them and everyone else. I liked that Translators are people that help get ideas from these innovators over to the rest of the population. I just really like ther relationship that was made there.

Posted by at 7:22 PM

After our Group Presentation...

I think that my group worked pretty well together. I'm not sure how to describe the roles in the group. We were altogether pretty relaxed in our meetings and our group was relaxed with presenting. My motivation was honestly pretty low until a few days before we had to present. We spilt up the work so I'm not exactly sure how the other group members did with distribution of work time but I definately left things until the last minute.
Everyone's attitude in the group, again, was pretty relaxed the enitre time. We got distracted sometimes but since we all knew that this needed to get done we would always quickly get back onto topic.
The only regret that I have is that I didn't try to pick a part that invovled more of a speech than a discussion. Since I like to speak in front of people and I found that I wasn't that good with tthe discussion part. I was also kind of thinking that I should have been like the first group with giving the candy for participating, and not just to everyone at the end. Their group had alot of responses for the discussion. The only reason why I didn't was because when the other group gave candy away for the participation then the discussion became unstructured because everyone was yelling out their answers.
In future discussions that I run I will make more of an effort to get people participating, maybe start to call on people.

Posted by at 6:19 PM