Convicted Sandusky to be sentenced

By Sarah Barchus

Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach, will be sentenced Tuesday after he was convicted of using his connections with the program and his Second Mile charity to abuse 10 young boys from disadvantaged homes, The New York Times reported.

Sandusky, 68, will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison, The New York Times reported. Three and a half months after Sandusky was found guiltily of 45 counts of child sexual abuse, Judge John Cleland from the Pennsylvanian Centre County Court will deliver the sentence.

In a statement aired Monday by Penn State University's ComRadio, Sandusky addressed his impending sentencing. Sandusky said he is innocent and that the victims and lawyers conspired against him, the Cable News Network reported.

"They could take away my life, they could make me out as a monster, they could treat me as a monster, but they can't take away my heart," the former coach at Penn State says. "In my heart, I know I did not do these alleged disgusting acts," CNN reported.

"Pedophiles often believe they did not do anything wrong. In their twisted universe, they helped their victims and loved them," said Marci Hamilton, an attorney for Travis Weaver, who filed a civil suit against Sandusky, CNN reported.

CNN legal contributor Paul Callan said Sandusky's statement was a mistake and that the judge will not receive it well, CNN reported. Callan said Sandusky should have stayed silent before his sentencing, and then plead his case to the public.

Sandusky will give a 5 to ten minute statement at the sentencing. Two victims will also speak and attorneys will read a third victim's statement, CNN reported.

Sandusky's attorneys will have seven days to appeal after the sentencing, CNN reported.