Pakistan protests Taliban's attack on teen blogger

By Sarah Barchus

A Pakistani schoolgirl underwent surgery Wednesday to remove the Taliban's bullet intended to end her life and with it, her education rights blog, The New York Times reported.

Taliban militants stopped a van that was taking 14-year-old Malala Yousufzai and two other girls home after school in northwestern Pakistan's conservative Swat Valley, the Cable News Network reported. After identifying Yousufzai, the gunmen open fired, hitting all three girls.

For two girls, their injuries were not life threatening, CNN reported.

A hospital official said, Yousufzai was taken to a military hospital in Peshawar, where surgeons removed a bullet from her shoulder that had passed through her head, The New York Times reported.

Yousufzai, who aspires to be a political leader, won Pakistan's first National Peace Prize in November for her blog, which portrays her fight against militants who use fear to keep girls out of school, CNN reported.

"I have the right of education," Malala said in a 2011 interview with CNN. "I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up," CNN reported.

The Taliban's attack created uproar among the Pakistani people who showed their outrage through social media, newspapers, broadcast and live protests, CNN reported.

"In attacking Malala, the terrorists have failed to grasp that she is not only an individual, but an icon of courage and hope," Pakistani Army Chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said, CNN reported.

Provincial Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said Yousafzai is still unconscious and on a ventilator, but she is improving, The New York Times reported.

"If she survives this time, she won't next time," a spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban said. "We will certainly kill her," CNN reported.

Police said they have identified the gunmen, CNN reported. Hussain said the government would pay more that $100,000 in reward for information leading to their arrests, The New York Times reported.