Second Works Cited Assignment

The Future of Food. Dir. Deborah Koons. DVD. Lily Films, 2004. 

I choose this film partly because it is a different media type than my sources and because it deals will food and its effect on society. I am also interested in the organic movement and am curious to see if this film covers the negative aspects of organic foods. In addition, I, as of yet, do not have a source that covers GM foods other than in the most superficial way.

Lambrec, Bill. Dinner at the new Gene Café. New York: Thomas Dunne Book, 2002

I choose this book as it looks like another interesting source on GM foods. As any argument I will eventually make on this topic will be about the negative effects on human health due to the modern diet this should be a useful resource in buttressing that theory.

Second annotated for Electoral College

Cleeland, Nancy and Abigail Goldman. "Grocery Unions Battle to Stop Invasion of the Gaint Stores." Los Angeles Times 25 Nov 2004 04 Mar 2008 .
I chose this one because there is debate on whether or not the competition between wal-mart and other companies is fair and whether or not the competition under the Electoral College system is fair.
6.) Franklin E. Zimring, “Firearms and Federal Law: The Gun Control Act of 1968?
The Journal of Legal Studies, (1975): 133-198

I like this because it talks about the concept of having guns and the law. This relates to the electoral college because the system is written into our law and we have to perhaps take a look at whether we should modify that law or leave it as it was intended.

2nd annoted works cited

Ben Mezrich Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions.
This source seems most related to my topic on Pluto being a topic because these people took mathematics to try and win a card game based off luck with probability and much the same quantitative mathematical steps were taken to analyze the planets orbits and trajectories. Although they are two totally different subjects, they both use math.
FOODFirst. 1999. Institute for Food and Development Policy. 5 March, 2008. http://foodfirst.org/
I enjoyed this topic on GM foods and the global impact because it is an interesting topic in its own right and if I were to use it in my paper I could give it a man’s accomplishment theme. We first looked at the stars and labeled planets, and then we shape our own planet with GM crops. Although it is not really related it would make an interesting general paper about human kind’s existence in the galaxy.

2nd annoted cited work

1) Mustafa al’Absi. Stress and addiction : biological and psychological mechanisms
.Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier Academic Press, c2007
This would help me because it talks about addixtion. Alcohol addiction should be in it. And some people who are against the lowering of the legal driniking age say that 18. 19 years olds could get addicted to alcohol realy easily while they are celebrating their adulthood with alcohol.
2)Critser, Greg. Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003.
Thiscouldhelp me because it is proven that alcohol definitely causes fat. So alcohol is one of the main social reasons of people's getting fat. So we could use an idea about this and say, if it was lowered, teenagers would drink more and more, they could become unhealthier and fatter. This could be a really good idea.

Secondary annotated works citied

Nelson Rose, “Gambling and the Law?, 1986, article “Nevada Card Counting?
This source from Luke's work citied really helped me get a bigger grasp of what is legal and completely illegal for blackjack. It does a great way of differing the types actions that would deemed fair and unfair for blackjack. This would be a great source for if you want to argue the legality of card counting.

5. THE TOMMY HYLAND TEAM TRIAL IN WINDSOR: CARD COUNTING IN THE COURTS
By Arnold Snyder
(From Blackjack Forum XV #4, December 1995)
© Blackjack Forum 1995

This source shows that even with technique at hand there is no promise of winning for the player. By showing that even after three hours professional players can still go out losing a large sum. So in the end blackjack is still a game of chance no matter how much people may say otherwise.

2nd annotated work cited

1.) Mustafa al’Absi. Stress and addiction : biological and psychological mechanisms

This would really help my paper on cosmetic surgery in the way of overviewing way addiction and stress may cause the chose of cosmetic surgery.

3.)http://web.ebscohost.com.floyd.lib.umn.edu/ehost/pdf?vid=1&hid=4&sid=677808a6-3022-4b92-966f-c2de3e7a477c%40sessionmgr3

This can also help, listing facts about the addiction of cosmetic surgery...depression, obsession, low self esteem, etc.

Annotated Works Cited Assignment Two

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World. New York: Random House, 2001.
This source is helpful for my topic because it is somewhat related to GM Food and it seems like it would be a reliable source. It talks about what foods humans use and why they use them. I am going to try to find this source and see what it has to offer about Genetically Modified Food.

Galkin, Matthew. I am an Animal: the Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA. HBO Documentary. 2007.
Most people’s sources are either books or websites. I like this source because it is a HBO Documentary and usually I can relate and understand things better when I see them. The Documentary for my topic was very helpful to me and gave me different perspectives on my topic.

Cleeland, Nancy and Tyler Marshall. "Scouring the Globe to Give Shoppers an $8.63 Polo Shirt." Los Angeles Times 24 Nov 2008 02 Mar 2008 .
This kind of source would help out my paper because it has issues that deal with the topic at hand on a global scale. Since I have a lot of information about GM Foods in America, I think it would add a lot to my paper to talk about what is going on internationally.

Secondary Works Cited for Gay Adoption Rights.

Article, Parade Magazine, by Sean Flynn titled " Should the drinking age be lowered?" on August 12th. 2007.

I think this article taken from the “Should the Drinking Age be Lowered or not? works cited could be helpful because it talks about peoples rights. My topic is gay adoption rights and it has a lot to do with the rights of people. (obviously)

Ross, Doris M. A Legislator’s Guide to the Year-Round School. Colorado: Education Commission of the States,1975.

I chose this book taken from the works cited of “Year-round School? because I thought it might be helpful because it has the same general concept as gay adoption rights. The shared concept is that in both there was a controversy and to figure out what’s best, they tested it on select states first. After they have analyzed the pros and cons of the effects on these states they then went further to determine which way works best.

Other Sources for the Year-Round School

1. People for Ethical Treatment of Animals. The PETA Guide to Compassionate Living. 1990.
This collection of articles on the different causes of PETA is fighting for and different ways that everyone can help in preventing them is why I choose this reference. I think it is a great way to learn about how PETA approaches each individual topic and their views on it. It includes vegetarian recipes, products not tested on animals, and much more information and what they mean by animal cruelty.

This article seemed to be about how people could get involved in the causes of PETA. I can use this with my topic on how parents can get involved in their school’s decision making process for deciding whether they should move from a traditional school year to the year-round one.

2. Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices. Dir. Robert Greenwald. DVD. Brave New Films, 2005.
A documentary on how Wal-Mart affects basically every aspect of the business world. There are real life stories of how local business owners were forced to bankruptcy in just few months after a Wal-Mart sets up in their community. Other topics the documentary hits on are the how the low prices are great for the consumer but have a impact on the places where these products are coming from

With use of the real life stories from the business owners, this article has made me think that it may be important to find the point of views of parents or children about the transition that they had to go through when they switched from the traditional school to the year-round or vice versa. How did this effect their lives? I already have sources on the effects it had on teachers and the schools but it would be nice to see the challenges that the students themselves had to face with a major change in their schooling schedule.

Physician Assisted Suicide and other sources....Jennie Lee

Alison Schneider PETA and the animal right movement
I am using this HBO documentary because it will give points of view from both sides of the controversy. From this I can also gather information about how these people interact and what their attitudes are like. This documentary includes a lot of interviews with PETA employees, supporters, and non-supporters. They also show the different kinds of activities and protest PETA is involved in.

This source is similar to physician-assisted suicide because there are many perspectives and character that PAS deals with. The community has many opinions on physician-assisted suicide with their belief hindering their choices similar with PETA. Animal right movement deals with civil matters such as physician assisted suicide deals with the right to die.

Gunther Wersal Gun Control
Michael T. Lambert, Peter S. Silva “An Update on the Impact of Gun Control Legislation on Suicide? Journal Psychiatric Quarterly 69 (1998): 127-134.
This source is a study on the impact of gun control legislation on suicide rates. A different aspect on the issue.

An issue that occurred during my research was that patients could have other alternatives to dying such as just shooting themselves or other means of death instead of having legal over dosage of drugs administrated by a physician. The gun control directly impacts PAS because some terminally ill patient might not be able to obtain a gun to end their life. PAS is legal in only one state, Oregon, and other terminally ill patient who wish to die does not have the accessory to end their pain, this prolongs the suffering of these patients.

Blackjack card counting other sources

This book is a general overview of past research on addiction and how stress has been linked to causing it. This source further goes on about how stress is a common reason for relapses. Also this source helps show how biological factors also play a role in addiction.
This is important to consider for an argument that card counting is addictive. When you are making money, legally or illegally, it is difficult to just stop because it interferes with ethics, or risk is suddenly involved. You’re body’s naturally stress elevates, and focuses you more on the activity. It is not easy to focus in a casino, when you are flirting with the law….
7. Article, Parade Magazine, by Sean Flynn titled " Should the drinking age be lowered?" on August 12th. 2007. It pretty much talks about the people's rights.
This advocates people’s rights to a lower age because of several reasons. Rights are important to consider when you are being taken to jail for doing nothing illegal. Several people have sued casinos and clubs for banning them, because they feel they have lost their rights for no good reason…

Thanks everyone!

Documenting Secondary Helpful Sources

Alison Schneider WRIT 1301 Documenting other helpful sources

Gun Control
Gunther Wersal
This source has information for both sides of the issue on a past attempt on gun control.

I chose this source as one that would help me a lot because I had never thought to look at a journal of legal studies, past cases that PETA has been involved in, or even an encyclopedia. I think finding some of those legal cases will help my literature review.

Blackjack Card Counting Essay Luke Bohnen
2. January 2006 Midwest Gaming and Travel. Written by Mike Aponte.
Mike writes down some stories of his days as a card-counter with MIT before he was banned. This open MIT alumnus may serve to be the focus, or at least a key aspect of my paper. He seems to be the most willing to converse about his experiences without jeopardizing the current team.

The reason I liked this source was because it reminded me of how there are many “pet lover? and different kinds of magazines devoted to the love of animals. I would want to know what their views on PETA are or what kinds of articles they publish about PETA.

Jennie Lee Physician Assisted Suicide
1. Back, Tony? Physician Assisted Suicide." University of Washington School of Medicine 1998 06 Mar 2008 .
The source defines a few key terms and clarifies the difference of Physician Assisted Suicide(PAS) and euthanasia. The source gives background informational about PAS and pros and cons of it. Since it is from the School of Medicine, the source also instructs on how their students should deal with such cases as PAS.

I liked this source because like many other it comes from a university based news source. This one though seem to have more information and be more fact based, so I will probably research a few university newspapers to see if they have anything about PETA.

Alternative Fuel: Ethanol

Is Ethanol the solution?

1) Biodiesel Quality: Is all biodiesel created equal? / Shawn P. Connely, Bernie Tao
West Lafayette, IN : Purdue University, Extension, 2006
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/ID/ID-338.pdf

I will use this source to help explain what biodiesel is. This source will also help explain a few alternatives to the plants used in biodiesel production.

2) Economics of Ethanol / Christ Hurt, Wally Tyner and Otto Doering
West Lafayette, IN : Purdue University, Extension, 2006.
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/ID/ID-339.pdf

I will use this source to discuss the economics of ethanol. It will help me explain the similarities and differences between a gallon of ethanol fuel and a gallon of gasoline.

3) Fuel ethanol : background and public policy issues / Brent D. Yacobucci and Jasper Womach
Washington, D.C. : U.S. Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, 2006.
http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/06Apr/RL33290.pdf

This is a very thorough source with lots of information. I will use this source to discuss the background on ethanol, basics in ethanol production, refining ethanol, and E85 fuel.

4) Life cycle simulation-based economic and risk assessment of biomass-based fuel ethanol (BFE) projects in different feedstock planting areas.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2S-4RRNVD9-2&_user=616288&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2008&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000032378&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=616288&md5=c68c5bb64434c3878000d3e3bcea3f95

This source does an excellent job of comparing the production of ethanol from three different plants. It discusses the us of corn, wheat, and cassava to produce ethanol in china.

5) Fuel ethanol production from sugarcane and corn: Comparative analysis for a Colombian case.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2S-4R4DFV0-1&_user=616288&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2008&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000032378&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=616288&md5=d9bda27be69880ba1f5552753929a14f

Similar to my last source, this source discusses the use of sugarcane verses corn in the production of ethanol. I plan to use these sources together to compare production methods.

6) Ethanol by the Numbers / New York Times

http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=3&hid=120&sid=4e1f1d1b-04e9-477f-a529-6a7a4286234c%40sessionmgr103

This source discusses the idea that ethanol may not be a reliable alternative fuel. It discusses the cost of ethanol and the energy output.

7) The Biofuel Follies / News Week

This source further discusses the problems with biofuels. The production of ethanol requires a significant amount of energy and the output of ethanol is not a great.

8) Biofuels May Hinder Antiglobal-Warming Efforts / Wall Street Journal

http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=1425718221&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=4&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1204824416&clientId=2256

This source will help me relate the biofuels follies to something everyone is beginning to understand, global warming. It will help me discuss the need for a new alternative energy.

PETA and the animal right movement

Alison Schneider WRIT 1301
Annotated Bibliography Literature Review
Butz, Bob. Outdoor Life: PETA Files: NUT JOBS Catching up with the animal-rights extremists and their latest lunacy. Oct. 2007. Vol. 214 Issue 9, p20-20.
This article provides information mainly about the recent trials going on with PETA employees. These include two PETA employees being charged with 21 accounts of animal cruelty for taking cats and dogs from veterinarians and pet shelters and dumping them in a dumpster, and another instance where a PETA employee kidnapped a Sheriff Deputy’s hunting dog while it was unattended. It also gives information about “The World’s First Empathy Quilt,? that PETA is making to protest fishing.

Copeland, Larry. USAToday. Animal rights fight gains momentum: Groups report increase in membership as high-profile incidents make headlines. Section: News, Pg. 03a
In this article they discuss how many recent events in the news have lead to the rise of membership in the top two leading organizations against animal cruelty, the Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). These issues have made it apparent to the American public that we have a lot of power over animals. They also provide information about what they are currently trying to change, like the food industry and crimes like dog fighting.

Center for Consumer Freedom. March 3, 2008. < http://www.petakillsanimals.com/.>
This webpage is about how PETA and the Humane Society of the United States are not treating animals ethically themselves. They give statistics like how PETA has killed 17,400 “companion animals? (cats, dogs, etc.) since 1996. They also give the example of how the Humane Society of the United States kept a tape with “explosive? footage of a slaughterhouse, and didn’t show it do the public until the timing was right to hit the meat producers, so the website implies that this tainted meat could have gone to schoolhouses and other public domain and that the HSUS cares more about “timing? than public welfare.

Drew, Matt. Letter of the Day: Carrying Water for PETA, not protecting kids. Star Tribune. January 31, 2008.
I liked this source a lot because it is the perspective of an everyday person who is not really for or against PETA but brings up some good points about the tactics PETA will use to meet the ends of a goal. In this letter he talks about how he thinks it is wrong that PETA is using the accusation that it is dangerous for children to go on elephant rides. This is no because they are worried about the children, Matt says, but because they know this will hurt the circus economically and will force them not to use elephants at all.

McNeil, DONALD G. Jr. The Nation: Gaining Ground; At Last, A Company that Takes PETA Seriously. The
New York Times. July 25, 2004.
Even though this article is about four years old I liked how it displayed PETA in a positive light. It gave information about one of the topics PETA has been fighting for a long time. Finally the parent company of KFC took the claims of animal abuse seriously and viewed tapes on the mistreatment, and his reaction to this was firing 11 managers and workers and told other plants to get their act together or they would lose their contracts. This was one of the many steps PETA has had to take to have success in their fight for animal rights.

Dave, Workman. PETA Files: The Dark Side of the Animal Rights Movement. Merril Press. Bellevue,
Washington. February 2003.
I choose this book because I wanted the view of someone who believes what PETA and other animal rights groups are doing is wrong. Often we hear stories about how PETA is having another protest or is trying to stop some kind of animal abuse, but like in most organizations there is always some corruption. I believe this book will address that and it also has a lot of facts, details, and statistics to back up what it claims.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The PETA Guide to Compassionate Living. 1990.
This collection of articles on the different causes PETA is fighting for and different ways that everyone can help in preventing them is why I choose this reference. I think it is a great way to learn about how PETA approaches each individual topic and their views on it. It includes vegetarian recipes, products not tested on animals, and much more information and what they mean by animal cruelty.

Gun Control

Gunther Wersal
Writ 1301
Lit Review Annotated Works Cited
Topic: Gun Control

1.) John R. Lott, Jr. More guns, less crime : understanding crime and gun-control laws
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.
This source presents a lot of information on either side of the issue

2.) Frank Zimring, Is Gun Control Likely to Reduce Violent Killings?
The University of Chicago Law Review, 1968
This source’s title is rather self explanatory. A study on gun control’s affect on homocides.

3.) John R. Lott, Jr. The Bias Against Guns why Almost Everything You’ve Heard About Gun Control is Wrong Regnery Publishing, 2003
This source is recently published, and presents valuable information.

4.) Colin Loftin; Milton Heumann; David McDowall Mandatory Sentencing and Firearms Violence: Evaluating an Alternative to Gun Control Law & Society Review, 1983
This source shows compromises between sides in tightening laws on gun crimes.

5.) Michael T. Lambert, Peter S. Silva “An Update on the Impact of Gun Control Legislation on Suicide? Journal Psychiatric Quarterly 69 (1998): 127-134.

7.) Lisa Stolzenberg; Stewart J. D'Alessio Gun Availability and Violent Crime: New Evidence from the National Incident-Based Reporting System, Social Forces, University of North Carolina Press, 2000
This source’s title is also self explanatory. Research on Availability of guns against violent crimes.

8.) David Hemenway; Sara J. Solnick; Deborah R. Azrael, “Firearms and Community Feelings of Safety? The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology (1995): 121-132
This source presents some more insight from a community standpoint on the issue.