A Man is a Dog

There's No Room For The Green Man

Florida Future

Baby

Baby1.jpg

India Elephant

s7.png

Family Game Night!

s6.png

Necklace Makers

s5.png

India Monkey

s4.png

Celebration

s3.png

Sibling Love

s2.png

Welcome to the Cabin

s1.png

Rome Fountain

a22.png

A Room With A View

a11.png

Rome Reflection

a10.png

Colosseum

a9.png

Washington Monument

a8.png

Down Town China Town

a7.png

Hawaiian Sunset

a6.png

These Colors Don't Run!

a5.png

La Residenza

a4.png

Hotel Rome

a3.png

Water Under the Bridge

a2.png

Venice Waterway

a1.png

3 Minute Egg

The 3-minute egg piece that was very interesting to me was titled "Music Lovers''. It was a play written and directed by a man named Alan Berks which follows what it was like to be apart of the local music scene and to be apart of a band that was trying to make it in the mid 90's. Growing up all of Alan's friends were in a band so he was constantly exposed to the local music scene and he got to experience what it was like to have the band lifestyle since he was always around it. In his play "Music Lovers" there is actually no music in the show, but rather it deals with the lifestyle that these bands are living. I think this is very unique because he could have easily turned it into a musical or something like that, but instead he focused on the point he was trying to convey, even though his actors are very talented musicians. It's also unique because this play isn't directed for the typical people that go to plays but rather for the people that go to the clubs. The director also tried to portray how in society today, there is almost this sense of extended adolsence, where people don't need to figure out what they want to do with their life until their 30. Overall, I really enjoyed this video and I think this would be a very cool play to go see.

The Best Of All Possible Worlds

The piece that I thought was most interesting was by Josh K. Winkler titled "Islands of Agriculture". The piece is from a viewpoint looking down on a giant beautiful blue lake surrounded by big brownish/grey mountains. Even though the scenery he creates is beautiful, the surroundings are not. The land is covered in trash, garbage, and pollution, and in the sky is a two airplanes flying banners behind them. Also in the water are several very large boats as well as a giant power line running through the middle. It is clear that the artist is trying to convey some sort of message of how easily humans can interfere with the environment and how the environment always come second to the industry. This piece is very relevant to issues going on today because obviously the "go green" movement is in full effect and many people are becoming more aware of the way we are treating the environment. Overall, I really like this piece and the message that Josh K. Winkler is trying to convey

Sculpture in the Quarter Gallery

The piece that stood out most to me was a piece titled "Containment" by Laura Nelson. The piece was a wooden shelf that had about 20 jars filled with a random assortment of items. Some of the jars contained, buttons, pins, coins, paper clips, and a bunch of other little trinkets. This piece stood out to me because it made me think about what the artist was trying to convey. I think Laura was trying to convey the idea that everyone is obsessed with possessions and that we all have a desire to hold on to these possessions despite them being completely irrelevant. The piece also made me think of an old man or woman who spends their time collecting these little unimportant trinkets for their own personal enjoyment. I really enjoyed this piece because it was simple, yet it had a unique message.

Film Analysis: Fantastic Mr. Fox

The scene from Fantastic Mr. Fox that I chose to analyze was the scene where Mr. Fox and all the animals are underground trying to escape and steal all the farmers supplies. Mr. Fox is clearly the captain of this group and he begins by going to each member of the group and asking them what their specialty is or what they can do to help. Each animals specialty correlates to what animal they are i.e the beaver is really good at chewing through wood, the mole can see in the dark, the rabbit is fast. While Mr. Fox goes to direct each animal, all the shots are the same, they use quick straight angle shots to show the interaction between Mr. Fox and the other animal, with the animals family standing in the background. They keep the angles consistent until at the end of the clip when Mr. Fox is talking to Ash and the rest of the kids, the director decided to use a first person angle, where the camera was shot as if we were seeing what Mr. Fox was seeing. They used this first person view just to switch up the angles and give the viewer a perspective of how Mr. Fox feels as he is directing everyone around. I really like this clip because its really funny and upbeat, I also like that they have the beach boys 'I Get Around' playing in the background to add to the feeling of the clip. I really enjoyed this whole movie and I think it's one of the most unique and clever movies I've seen in a very long time

114512.png

Colorado River

river.png

Challenge

n1273620694_30928513_7172.jpg

Har Mar Superstar @ The Weisman

25499_1342687128592_1273620694_31705633_6521092_n.jpg

BFA Exhibit

The piece that stood out to me at the BFA Exhibit in the Quarter Galley was Ben Lansky Experiment #2. In this experiment he taped two cameras back to back, so when someone took a picture it took a picture of themselves as well as a picture of what they were seeing. It was a very simple idea but I thought it was very creative and unique and I liked the idea that something so simple can be portrayed as art. I think it's a cool idea to not only be able to capture an image, but also being able to capture the emotion that the viewer is experiencing while they are taking a picture of the image. It was a simple idea but I really that it was a cool idea and very creative.

BA Show

The piece that stood out to me the most at the BA show was "Intimacy Series 1-9" by Nathan Waldvogel. The piece is 9 separate pictures of different couples naked and embracing each other. The photos portray different types of couples, a man and a woman, two men, and two women. I really enjoy this piece because it highlights that it doesn't matter if your gay or straight, it's just about happiness and love. I think this piece is especially relevant now because sexual orientation is such a controversial topic lately, especially with gay marriage, and I think Nathan is doing his part by showing that regardless of sexual orientation, its all about love and thats all that matters, I like that in these pictures they have the couples smiling and showing a lot of emotion. He also sets these pictures up in a very tasteful way and there's nothing explicit about it, which adds a lot to the piece.

Bird in the Sky

Picture 4.png

Protest at the Capital

san fran.jpg

Good Dog

madd.jpg

The Bean

reflec.jpg

Chicago Fountain

chi stat.jpg

Chi City

chi city.jpg

All About Spencer

My name is Spencer Barrett and I'm a freshman this year living in Territorial Hall and loving it. I grew up in Edina Minnesota, however I'm not the typical Edina "cake eater" despite stereotypes. I think of my self as a very welcoming and friendly guy and I enjoy making people laugh. I've played basketball and football my whole life and continue to do so on club teams and intramurals with guys I've met from school which I really enjoy doing. I also really enjoy making videos and have made them almost my whole life, which is a main reason I decided to take this class. I plan on being a youtube celebrity one day by making an epic video that gets a million hits, daily. My major is marketing but my passion is making videos and I really hope one day I'll be able to incorporate the two into a profession. Another reason I took this class was because I love being able to be creative and just make nothing into something or just being able to add a personal twist to something to make it your own.

The Trouble Begins At Eight

The piece that stood out to me the most at this gallery was an untitled piece by Juanita Berrio. This piece was extremely unique, Juanita built a stack of pillows about 6 feet high and 10 feet wide. On the wall next to the piece it said "Or that you don't want to see us?", I was pretty confused at what the artist was saying until I saw in the pillow stack it said, "Is It that you don't see us?" To me, the message was portraying individuals that feel invisible to the world or that see themselves at outcasts, and the way they cope with is it is by hiding from the world. It gave me a picture of a kid who feels alone, angry and neglected, asking the world "do you not see me? or do you not want to see me?" so he builds his own little pillow fort like everyone used to do when they were younger just to get away from the world and be by yourself. I thought this piece was extremely unique and visually very stimulating but also had a really thought provoking message as well.

The Shootout

Florida Sunset

22.png

Synthetic Times Exhibition

The piece I chose from this exhibition was Urgently! by Aristarkh Chernyshev. I just thought this looked like such a unique and interesting piece and it stood out to me over the others, mostly because I could actually tell what the object was in the piece. It is a trash bin that has several RSS news feeds coming out of them. This piece metaphorically represents how our society is constantly taking in news information every second and than immediately throws that information out for the next piece of news to be updated. It depicts how we've become so dependent on getting the news from different media sources and how we are always expecting the breaking news to at the touch of a button. I think this piece is extremely relevant to today society and has a very good meaning.

The Shawshank Redemption

The clip I choose to analyze was the escape scene from the film The Shawshank Redemption. I've always thought that this is one of the best endings to a movie and I really liked how they filmed it. One thing I enjoy about this scene is how they do the lighting; the whole scene is shot at night and the only way reason we are able to see what's going on is buy a little moonlight coming in through a window and the lightning from the storm. Also, the music really adds a lot to the scene. The music starts off very light and slow as he begins his escape, but as he gets closer and closer to escaping it is constantly building and finally when he reaches the outside world the music becomes loud, dramatic and almost heroic. However, not only does the music add to the scene but the sounds going on around him as well, for instance the loud crashing of the lightning or the sound of the pounding rain outside. They use many different camera angles during his escape as well. After he gets out of the whole that he dug through the wall, he has to climb down three stories holding on to sewage pipe, and they use a long shot and pan down as well. Also at the very end of his escape, they use a long shot to show him running away from the place that has locked him up for so many years and then as he stands there with his shirt off, hands raised in the air, they slowly pan upwards, looking down on him from the sky. During the entire escape he is wearing his jail uniform but when he finally gets to freedom he strips out of his jail uniform symbolizing that he is stripping himself from his confinement and that he is now a free man

tim-robbins.jpg

Pelican Take Off

33.png

Sound Project

Montana Mountains

81.jpg

House on the Beach

1112.png

White Picket Fence

445.png

Flip Book Animation