Assignment5

I started working on this assignment by choosing an archetypal existing product related to my winter sub-theme, holiday decorations. The product I choose is Christmas ornament, because it is hard to imagine Christmas tree without any ornaments. I applied SCAMPER technique to it, and documented everything into my designer notebook, as can be seen in the images below:

spread_0.jpg

spread_1.png

spread_2.jpg
From this exercise I obtained 7 new ideas. Please see the sketches for them below:

1. Fluorescent ornament, that charges in the light of lamps and then emits light when the light is off.

S_.png

2. Candle holder that has a second function of an ornament.

C_.png

3. Ornament that adapts pangolin's ability to wrap itself into a ball and then expand. The ornament can also be double-sided in this case.

A_pangolin_jpg

4. An ornament that has an extra feature of being a terrarium for plants.

M_jpg

5. An ornament can be magnetic building blocks put to other use.

P_magnetic_structures.png

6. Really small ornaments for a small Christmas tree.

E_mini_ornaments.png

7. Pacman-style ornament that has 2 parts connected with a hinge.

R_.jpg

Then I used TILMAG tool on Christmas ornament to generate more ideas. I created TILMAG matrix in Photoshop using images from the Internet to make it easier for other people to understand. I chose 4 important characteristics of a Christmas ornament to use: visceral attractiveness, good visibility (noticeability), lightweight, and means to be attached (to a tree branch). For the visceral attractiveness I chose several principles of design that can be applied to ornament: an anthropomorphic form (the Method dish soap bottle), use of saturated colors and special color combinations (in most of the images that I used), use of golden ratio (shell example), Veblen Effect -- a tendency to find a product desirable because it has a high price -- jewelry examples. The rest of the matrix is pretty self-explanatory.

TILMAG_.png

From here I derived 2 more ideas:

TILMAG_1.png

TILMAG_2.png

After that I reviewed ideas from the blue sky brainstorming session, silly ideas from the week 2 assignment, ideas from using SCAMPER technique, one idea that I got from conversation with my sister when I was telling her what I am doing at grad school. And here are the 10 ideas that I like most:

1.
1__.jpg

2.
2.jpg

3.
3.jpg

4.
4.jpg

5.
5.jpg

6.
6.jpg

7.
7.jpg

8.
A_pangolin_jpg

9.
TILMAG_2.png

10.
projection.jpg

I love the way you have chosen to sketch in your notebook. They are really interesting, well drawn and laid out nicely. That being said, it is fairly difficult for a reader, such as myself to decipher your notes accurately. It is great to document everything in your design notebook, but it is good to evalute what you have written and relay it differently on the blog post as though you were walking a client through your process.

It was great that you chose to do your TILMAG in photoshop. It was much easier to read.

I appreciate how you have chosen to dig deeper in the realm of storage issues when it comes to ornaments. This is a huge pain for many people and the way you have implemented this issue into your designs is great. I think narrowing in on one of these-storage based designs will be awesome!

Hey Masha.

Great job on the blog post. You did a good job as documenting and describing the SCAMPER and TILMAG methods.

Here are some great things I noticed:
1) Aside from 4 pictures (first 2 from notebook and 2 from the final 10 ideas) your pictures were very clear and informative.
2) Description of the SCAMPER method. I enjoyed reading your notes from this method. (I wish you had made bigger/better pictures of your notes though)
3) Inflatable and collapsible ornaments. Both of those ideas are cool and definitely marketable.

Here is some pointers that could make your blog even better:
1) State your subtheme and problem statement in the beginning of the post. This would make tracing the thought of your product ideas easier.
2) Crop the notebook pictures in the beginning. This would make it much easier to read.

Good job!