« 10. on the dot | Main | Blog Ten »

blog # 10

Mr. Summers,
I think it important to note my shock and disappointment when learning of the remarks you made when addressing the absence of women in the hard sciences. I would have thought that a person in such high position at such a prestigious institution such as Harvard would at least have the sense to censor oneself when talking about such a delicate topic such as this if only to protect the integrity of the institution. Not only that, but I had hoped that such a highly educated person would realize the flaws behind such logic as women’s brains lack the attributes needed to obtain the higher level positions in the hard sciences. As Bublick points out, you have at your disposal the best research and researchers in the nation and yet instead of using them as a source for your rationale, you use your own firsthand observations of your young daughter’s behavior. Does it not occur to you that, as Bublick points out, your conclusions about your daughters behavior may differ from the conclusions anyone else may draw from the same observations? It is not so much your views that upset me, although the belief that women are biologically wired to be good at liberal arts while men are biologically wired to be good at math and sciences does irritate me, but that you put such an obviously small amount of effort into figuring out an explanation to a problem or issue that I feel deserves much more attention.
Here is a concrete example of how men and women are treated differently in the work force and the president of the most strived for institution of learning in the nation attempts to explain it away with logic that resonates with a tone from the past. If anything this is a clear indicator that equality has not been reached, no matter how much we all hope to believe that it has been.