« Final Blog | Main | Final Blog »

Last Blog

I am realizing after having this class that I am so much more perceptive about gender relationships in my life than I was before. It’s empowering because I feel more confidant about myself, but it’s also kind of depressing because I realize so much more how oppressive it can be to be a woman in patriarchy! I work in a bar as well, so I am more aware of the gender and sexual politics that are everywhere in that sort of space! I think what is best in my situation, as a female 23 year-old college student is to be aware of this dynamic in society, and be ready to gently challenge the “normative? views people have of each gender and the expectations we have for ourselves and each other as gender-performing individuals. I have already been able to do this a bit where I work, just by making people explain what they mean and where their ideas come from after they make a mocking or derogatory comment about women. I have thought of Johnson’s view, particularly when I am at work, of taking accountability for our actions and beliefs in a gendered society and making sure others do the same. I also think Audre Lorde’s tactics of looking at differences as useful perspectives for understanding gender in different situations and social spaces, and using differences (especially ones that overlap as in her situation) to break down the dualisms that are still so prevalent in our patriarchal society are concepts that are very applicable to my everyday life. Her ideas are a way of being more open-minded and a way of thinking more critically before passing judgment. Overall, I think knowledge is power, and the more we educate ourselves on issues involving women, gender and sexuality, the more power we have to, even in a small way, change the way others think about gender. From here, we have the power to change people’s actions, and hopefully provide a more accepting environment for everyone.