Assignment 7

Just for review ( and any first time readers) my sub theme is holiday gifts and right now I have five very diverse options that I'm working with.

1) Self-tanning scarf: scarf that is made of fabric/ has particles that attract sunlight to keep you looking sun-kissed year-round.
2) Scissor-less wrapping paper: wrapping paper that tears straight so that you don't need to use scissors.
3) Candle wrapping paper: wrapping paper that can be reused as a candle-- comes in a variety of holiday scents and it non-toxic.
4) Secret Santa gift app: helps you find the perfect gift for hard to buy for people.
5) Nursing home mobile gift center: mobile (portable) gift center that travels to nursing homes with trendy/popular gifts for kids and adults.

Pugh Chart

The criteria I chose were:
1) Is there a good market for it?
2) Is the timing good?
3) Is there a clear need?
4) Is it feasible to produce?
5) Is it unique?

pugh chart copy.jpg

My secret Santa app had the most +'s so I went with that!
I was also most interested in developing this idea.
I changed the name quite a bit, to that it wasn't as cheesy as "Secret Santa". I found it difficult to come up with a name that was unique and would make sense for this product. I ended up naming the app "KARIS" which is Latin for 'dearest'. Karis is used to buy gifts for those dearest to you, so I thought it fit well.
Instead of a sketch, here is part of the visual aid that I will have on Tuesday. This is a rough mock-up of what the app would look like.

KARIS_phone.jpg

Elevator Pitch
Movie on 2013-12-08 at 22.12.mov

Assignment 6

A. Marketability

Facebook Surveys

Each product was rated on a scale of 1-5, 1 being "No" and 5 being "Yes" in regards to the question, 'Would you buy this product?".
I also asked each participant to give how much they would pay for the product.

The ten products I chose to survey for marketability were:

1. Scissor-less wrapping paper (tears straight)
Average score: 3.28
Average price: $4.14

2. Flannel (fabric) wrapping paper
Average score: 2.5
Average price: $6

3. Puzzle wrapping paper
Average score: 2.6
Average price: $3.4

4.Self tanning scarf
Average score: 2.667
Average price: $6.667

5. Poster wrapping paper
Average score: 2.667
Average price: $ 2.667

6. Self- adhesive wrapping paper
Average score: 2.4
Average price: $2.4

7. Candle wrapping paper
Average score: 4.25
Average price:$ 5.25

8.Nursing home mobile gift store
Average score: 3
Average price:$ 6.9

9. Secret Santa gift app
Average score: 2.6
Average price: 0 (its an app so I'm not surprised)

10. Gift panel
Average score: 1.3
Average price: $2.2

Selections from the surveys...
#4 Self tanning scarf
#7 Candle wrapping paper
#1 Scissor-less wrapping paper
#8 Nursing home mobile gift store
#9 Secret Sant gift app

B. Novel

2 x 2's

Self tanning scarf:
Thumbnail image for Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 11.57.40 PM.png

Candle wrapping paper
--Nothing like this exists, but here is a cluster of similar products.
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.53.00 AM.png

Scissor less wrapping paper
--Nothing like this exists, so here is a cluster of similar ideas.
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.03.27 AM.png

Nursing home mobile gift store
--Again, nothing like this currently exists so I created a cluster.
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.11.39 AM.png

Secret Santa gift app
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.24.20 AM.png

Patent #'s:
1) Uv-transparent fabric or garment, their method of manufacture and its use in combating vitamin d deficiency--- WO 2008129278 A2
2)Meltable ink composition
EP 1367103 B1
3)A paper product having unique physical properties
EP 2606184 A1
4)Expert system for play list generation
WO 2001077846 A1
5)Systems and methods for virtual transferring of gifts
WO 2012037178 A2

C. Feasability
Potential Concerns:
1) Self-tanning scarf: finding the right balance of the material/chemicals that attract sun rays so that the person doesn't get sunburnt.
2) Candle wrapping paper- figuring out what material to make the paper with that can melt down and smell nice/not be toxic.
3) Scissor-less wrapping paper- finding a material that is thin enough to wrap presents but thick enough to tear straight without scissors.
4) Mobile gift center for nursing homes- figuring out where the store would be, who I would charge for the service (nursing home or individual senior citizens), where the product would come from.
5) Secret Santa gift app- how to protect people's privacy while sharing info

Assignment 5

My sub theme is holiday gifts so I chose wrapping paper to work with for this exercise.
I began by going through the SCAMPER prompts.

Substitute: Use fabric and buttons/zippers to wrap and present gifts.

Thumbnail image for IMG_0130.JPG

Combine: combine with wax-like properties so that wrapping paper can be condensed and melted down as a candle, emitting a holiday scent!

Thumbnail image for IMG_0131.jpg

Adapt: Wrapping paper is self-adhesive to itself so that tape is not needed.

IMG_0134.jpg

Magnify: wrapping paper doubles as a puzzle that can be reconstructed after gift has been opened and wrapping paper has been ripped to pieces.

IMG_0147.JPG

Put to other use: Wrapping paper can be reused as art/decor in one's home. Wrinkle resistant material that can be reused as a poster.

IMG_0148.JPG

Eliminate: Eliminate the need for scissors by having wrapping paper that rips straight.

IMG_0150.JPG

Reverse/ rearrange: The wrapping paper is reusable, so the wrapping paper itself is also a gift!
IMG_0153.JPG

I then utilized the TILMAG for my table-based too. I used the keywords "covers item", "thin", and "flexible".
Here are the two ideas that came out of that table.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

Assignment 4

For my blue sky ideation assignment I gathered 4 of my girlfriends to brainstorm.
Participants:
Ashley is a senior is college who still lives at home with her parents in the suburbs. She's a creative writer and loves fashion.
Payton just graduated from Aveda Institues and lives with her husband in the cities.
Sashka just graduated from the U in Fashion Design and was born in Bosnia.
Kate is in the middle of her senior year of college and will gradute with a degree in English.
group

When they all arrived, I had each of them spend five minutes writing down ideas for the two HMW questions without talking to each other.

How Might We:
1. How might we enable people to find and buy more thoughtful gifts?
2. How might we make gift shopping for non-close family and friends more enjoyable?

After that we played two warm-up games to get their minds ready to brainstorm!

game
I started with the "look at me" game that we played in class on Tuesday. They all loved that game and their overall energy level definitely increased. The next game we played was the one that I created...well it ended up being more of a spin-off from the tigers and bears game. I wrote out eight different nouns on sheets of paper such as "Beyonce, Hillary Clinton, a vegetable, a Russian" they then had to say as many "I wish I was ______ because statements as they could in a minute. I encouraged them to say the most random things they could think of- the phrases didn't have to be true or make sense. They seemed to understand that but it was interesting to listen to them play the game because all of them kept trying to think of legitimate reasons, which hurt their overall 'score'. I encouraged them to just free up their minds and spit answers out, but they still seemed to be stuck on that.

We spent 20 minutes on each HMW statement and half way through each I assigned them different roles to take when brainstorming. I assigned celebrity, single mom, grandparent, and young boy. It was cool to see how much that helped them come up with different ideas when they put themselves in someone else's shoes for a while.

After they had finished coming up with ideas, I gave them each four colored sticky notes: green for useful and orange for creative/novel. I told them they weren't able to talk during this portion so that it would be as objective as possible.

I collected all the ideas and sorted them into creative/ useful piles and then selected the top 10 ideas, 5 from each HMW.
They are as follows:

1. Social media site for people to post their gift ideas

social media site
2. Gift-making video game

gift-making video game

3. Mobile gift centers that go to nursing homes (for grandparents/seniors trying to buy good gifts for family)
mobile gift

4. Speed dating session with extended family to get to them better so you can get a more thoughtful gift

speed dating

5. A time machine to see how people will react to a potential gift (maybe a more realistic version of this)
IMG_0088.jpg

6. Utilize hair stylists by giving them good ideas to drop to their clients/ hire them to get some good gift ideas out of your wife/daughter
hair stylists

7. For a family- have a creative gift contest made of things in the home
family gift contest

8. Track people's spending habits and sell it to their family/friends for a profit
people's spending habits

9. Set up a panel of gift 'experts' of various genders and age groups who set up at the MOA

gift panel MOA
10. A pill you can take that will give you their mind for an hour

mind pill

Assignment #3

My selected subtheme is holiday gifts.
Luckily for me, I work at a local gift store, Patina! We've had a lot of Christmas merchandise out for about three weeks now, and a lot of customers have been in to start their Christmas shopping.
I worked all day Friday and Saturday so I was able to observe the environment and experience holiday shopping from the role of the employee.
As I interacted with customers I knew were shopping for holiday gifts, I observed that customers seemed to enjoy themselves more when they were shopping for a close family member or friend such as a spouse or sibling. Although it may take longer to find the perfect gift, the process was mostly enjoyable. On the other hand, if the customer was trying to find a gift for a less well-known relative or acquaintance, they were more stressed out. Obviously I wasn't able to interview these people about why they felt this way, but I would guess that shopping for someone you know well and love is fun because you are excited to see their reaction, know you found a good gift, etc. Shopping for someone you don't know can be high-pressure and its hard to know if you're on the right track at all.

As far as experiencing holiday gifts, I did shop for a baby shower gift this week. Not exactly holiday, but it was still shopping for a gift! I personally LOVE getting gifts for people- it actually becomes a problem for my bank account sometimes! I take a lot of time to find the most thoughtful, specific, and unique gift that I can find. So as I shopped, I really enjoyed it. The girl I was shopping for is a good friend of mine, so I felt confident in what she would like to receive.
Here is a cute baby shower gift option that I found!

sippycup.PNG

I also interviewed three of my girlfriends, Lauren, Mel and Rachel. There were several things that they had in common which were interesting to me. First, they all highly valued thoughtful gifts above expensive gifts. Each of them expressed the desire to find thoughtful gifts for their loved ones as well as the desire to receive thoughtful gifts. Mel described it best when she said that thoughtful gifts made her "feel known". She valued this feeling more than knowing that someone spent a lot of money on something less intentional. They also all seemed to wait until the last week to start shopping- and all hated the stress that accompanied that decision to procrastinate!

The first person I interviewed was my friend Rachel, who was recently engaged. I was curious to see how she was approaching holiday gifts this year now that she had a fiancé and in-laws (kind of). Rachel starts her holiday shopping about a week before Christmas. She generally does about half of her shopping online, through Amazon. She prefers to get a few smaller gifts rather than one expensive gift. She said she prefers this because its cheaper and then the person has more presents to open.
This year, she has a fiancé to shop for. I asked her how she intended to find the 'right' gift for such an important person and she said that she thought it would be pretty easy since they have a lot of relational content to work with. Her fiancé is also someone who really appreciates thoughtful, small gifts. One thing she said to me that really stuck out was that the better you know someone, the easier it is to buy for him or her. Although this may seem really obvious, I think there is more there that could bring deeper insights about gifts.
Her favorite gifts to receive are from her mom and fiancé, because they are always the most thoughtful and spot on. When I asked her to describe her feelings towards holiday gifts, she said excited, intentional and time-consuming.

Next I interviewed Mel
She never shops online for holiday gifts- when I asked her why she said she had never really considered it. As I kept asking "why" she eventually admitted that it made her nervous to trust such an unpredictable shipping method. She prefers to have a dependable way to get gifts- and going to the mall and buying them herself is much more predictable. Her favorite gifts were things that had a lot of thought and intention behind them and were also gifts she really liked. She appreciated the connection between the intention and response.

Finally, I interviewed Lauren. Lauren only buys gifts for her immediate family- when I asked her why, she replied that it was just too hard to narrow down her friends to a few to buy gifts for. Money is a big worry for her so she doesn't like to spend a lot on gifts. Lauren keeps a list in her phone throughout the year of things that her family members want. That way when it comes time to shop, she knows exactly what she needs to get. Out of the three interviews, Lauren was the only one who mentioned efficiency and the desire to get in and out quickly. She said that she doesn't like to just browse when she shops- she just wants to find something and move on. Especially for a girl, I thought this was an interesting response since usually women like the experience of shopping. When I asked her about where she shops for these gifts, she mentioned Target, TJmaxx, and REI. I asked why those stores and she said anywhere that she can find a good gift for a good sale price is the best. Lauren's favorite gifts are things that she wouldn't normally buy for herself such as perfume or a new coat. Of the three interviews, Lauren valued expensive gifts the most. She said that she looked forward to getting things that she wouldn't usually spend that much money on.

In hindsight, I wish that I had made it a point to interview a male to get a different perspective. It would have also been interesting to see a perspective from a parent of grandparent and how they choose gifts. Unfortunately that just wasn't a possibility for me this weekend, but interviewing my friends stretched my mind to think of deeper questions that I had for people about holiday gifts.

Two opportunities:
1) The theme that stuck out the most to me was the desire to give and receive gifts with meaning- thoughtful, intentional gifts were what my friends strived to find and enjoyed receiving. Finding a way to help people who aren't naturally good and finding those types of gifts would create happier givers and receivers of gifts!

2) For the people I interviewed and observed, holiday gifts are usually only given to close family/friends. If gifts are bought for others, it is usually out of obligation and not as enjoyable of an experience.

Assignment #2

To prepare my mind for this assignment, I watched Emperor's New Groove!

1888434517.jpg

I started making my mind map and tried to cover every area that I could in regards to winter- it was harder than I expected!

Mind map

My mind map!

After creating this, I started to brainstorm product ideas. I found myself struggling to write down ideas that didn't serve a purpose or were practical-- I tend to be more of an adaptor than an innovator. I did my best to get out of my comfort zone but still produce ideas that were relevant and purposeful.

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Chosen sub-themes: seasonal affective disorders, winter outerwear, and gift wrapping.

Assignment #1

When brainstorming for this profound new cookie, some of my initial ideas were maple, honey, pomegranate, and pumpkin. I strayed away from pumpkin because I figured EVERYONE would want to make pumpkin cookies right now. I decided I really wanted to find a way to creatively incorporate maple. My roommate had cooked with lavender before (which I had never heard) so I thought I'd play with that too! I settled on combining what was a strange combination to me- lemon, lavender, and maple!
The lemon was just an interesting contrasting flavor to the maple- tart and fresh paired with sweet and syrupy!

This cookie fulfills all three requirements of innovation: is it novel + valuable + feasible. Mixing lavender, lemon, and maple was a very strange combination but also one that I thought would actually end up being delicious! I started with a base from a lemon cookie recipe and added the maple and lavender from there.
The 'base' ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one large lemon, finely minced

(Also I only made HALF of the batch these ingredients were for, so I just cut the amounts in half.)

MY additional ingredients: 1/2 tbsp. lavender, 1/8 cup maple syrup

After mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately, I combined them into one mixing bowl; wet including lemon, butter, eggs, vanilla, and maple; dry including baking soda, flour, and lavender.

To make the maple reduction for the tops of the cookies, I combined 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/8 cup brown sugar, and a sprinkle of salt. I boiled this on the stove for a few minutes but it wasn't thickening enough so I added a half cup of powdered sugar to thicken it up.

This was to go on top of the cookies- I made little 'pocket's before I baked them, but the came up pretty flat..so it ended up looking more like goopy drizzle!
To make it extra interesting and fancy, I also candied lemon quarters to put on top of the cookies.
This process was simpler than I expected it to be...
I cut up two lemons into quarters and put them in boiling water for five minutes. Immediately after I put them in cold water to blanch them. Then I combined a cup and a half of sugar with a cup of water and boiled that until the sugar dissolved. Adding the lemons quarters, I let that simmer for about an hour. The end result was sticky little lemons for the tops of my cookies!
Also it's important to note that candied lemon really isn't edible--more for looks and to engage your senses!

Overall I really enjoyed this process...I'm not a big baker but when I do cook in the future I will consider new combinations instead of just relying on what is 'safe'.

Thumbnail image for image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2a.jpeg

image_2b.jpeg

image_2c.jpeg

Photo credits: Ethan Cook
Co-baker: Rachel Cobian

Recent Comments

• pilgr028: Natalie, You did a very good job presenting yesterday, I read more
  • poiga001: Hi Bauer, Great start with a a glimpse of your read more
  • ramas043: Hi Natalie, I really liked that your survey was simple read more
  • rezek010: Hey Natalie. It seems to me that you did a read more
  • rusch107: Hello! First, I thought it was interesting to see how read more
  • rhode125: You have some really great ideas that have resulted from read more
  • simpk024: Hey Natalie, I had fun reading through your ideas. I read more
  • tebej001: The idea of making gift shopping fun and enjoyable for read more
  • schw1562: Hi Natalie, A few thoughts. Your group seems fairly homogenous. read more
  • Josh Thorson: Hey Natalie! Nice blog set up, very clean and informative. read more

Recent Assets

• KARIS_phone.jpg
  • pugh chart copy.jpg
  • KARIS_gif
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.24.20 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.11.39 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.03.27 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.53.00 AM.png
  • Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 11.57.40 PM.png
  • Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 11.55.41 PM.png
  • IMG_0153.JPG