Assignment #1

| 3 Comments

When brainstorming for this profound new cookie, some of my initial ideas were maple, honey, pomegranate, and pumpkin. I strayed away from pumpkin because I figured EVERYONE would want to make pumpkin cookies right now. I decided I really wanted to find a way to creatively incorporate maple. My roommate had cooked with lavender before (which I had never heard) so I thought I'd play with that too! I settled on combining what was a strange combination to me- lemon, lavender, and maple!
The lemon was just an interesting contrasting flavor to the maple- tart and fresh paired with sweet and syrupy!


This cookie fulfills all three requirements of innovation: is it novel + valuable + feasible. Mixing lavender, lemon, and maple was a very strange combination but also one that I thought would actually end up being delicious! I started with a base from a lemon cookie recipe and added the maple and lavender from there.
The 'base' ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one large lemon, finely minced

(Also I only made HALF of the batch these ingredients were for, so I just cut the amounts in half.)

MY additional ingredients: 1/2 tbsp. lavender, 1/8 cup maple syrup

After mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately, I combined them into one mixing bowl; wet including lemon, butter, eggs, vanilla, and maple; dry including baking soda, flour, and lavender.

To make the maple reduction for the tops of the cookies, I combined 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/8 cup brown sugar, and a sprinkle of salt. I boiled this on the stove for a few minutes but it wasn't thickening enough so I added a half cup of powdered sugar to thicken it up.

This was to go on top of the cookies- I made little 'pocket's before I baked them, but the came up pretty flat..so it ended up looking more like goopy drizzle!
To make it extra interesting and fancy, I also candied lemon quarters to put on top of the cookies.
This process was simpler than I expected it to be...
I cut up two lemons into quarters and put them in boiling water for five minutes. Immediately after I put them in cold water to blanch them. Then I combined a cup and a half of sugar with a cup of water and boiled that until the sugar dissolved. Adding the lemons quarters, I let that simmer for about an hour. The end result was sticky little lemons for the tops of my cookies!
Also it's important to note that candied lemon really isn't edible--more for looks and to engage your senses!

Overall I really enjoyed this process...I'm not a big baker but when I do cook in the future I will consider new combinations instead of just relying on what is 'safe'.

Thumbnail image for image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2a.jpeg

image_2b.jpeg

image_2c.jpeg

Photo credits: Ethan Cook
Co-baker: Rachel Cobian

3 Comments

1st, for the blog, try to disperse the images appropriately throughout your narrative, rather than all at the end. Especially if you are not putting image descriptions/captions next to them.

The combinations of lemon + lavender and lemon + maple are not terribly uncommon for desserts or cookies, but all 3 might be a bit different. Trying something a bit more radical with the flavor to at least try with these would have been a good exploration and would have added to the iterative process. Perhaps even changing the form, using the pocket idea to dictate form in some way. Maybe scoring rather than indenting to create the pocket.

I don't remember trying these cookies, but the combination of lemon, vanilla, maple syrup and lavender sounds delicious to me. The pictures of the process look nice. Though it feels that you could make some more experimentations / iterations. If you pushed it a little bit further you could come up with more interesting look for the cookies.

Before I say anything else, I want to mention that your flavor combination sounds quite delicious, and the lemon seems to be a nice presentation touch.

I think you made a mistake by stopping after only one batch of cookies. Part of the creative process is experimentation and exploration of new ideas, and by stopping after you found success you potentially limited yourself. You could have used the recipe that worked and then (as Masha said) gone after aesthetics/form to push the innovation. Or you could have challenged yourself to improve the flavor or find an even more innovative taste combination. It would also be nice to see a photo of the finished product in your blog post.

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by bauer548 published on October 27, 2013 5:21 PM.

Assignment #2 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.