With summer well under way, there's no better time to stop, catch your breath, and think about what you want your life to look like. (It will also help take your mind off the heat.) Are you spending your time and energy on the things that are most important to you? Seeing the people you care about? Feeling like you accomplished something meaningful each day? Making sure there's fun and joy in your life? It's easy to lose track of these things, so take a moment to refocus your perspective and build the life you want to live.
To get you started, here's something that many people find inspiring:
The Rules for Being Human
By Dr. Chérie Carter-Scott
From "If Life Is a Game, These are the Rules"
1. You will receive a body. You may love it, like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time, informal school called LIFE. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately "works."
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There is not a part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. "There" is not better than "here." When your "there" has become "here, you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."
7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie inside you. The answers to LIFE's questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
10. You will forget all this.
11. You can remember it whenever you want.
Enjoy your summer!!!