Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

I looked at two categories and liked them both. The first one was Fun Stuff. The site I looked at was cocktail builder. If you're having a party, but don't know what type of drinks to serve it will give you at least a dozen choices based on the type of liquor you have. I don't think this has any use in the library unless casual Fridays get very casual.. The second one I looked at was Events. The site I looked at was eventful. It listed events in the Duluth area from concerts to conferences. It may be of use to advertise Library events, i.e. NEMBA, MLA, Berman Collection.

Web-based Apps: They're not just for desktops

I played w/Google docs. I created a document and sent it to some friends. I think this could be a more practical or an easier method to use for anything instead of a wiki.

UM Wiki Sandbox

I liked the sandbox. It was easy to use. The TWiki was ok, but more detail than I needed to know. When I looked at the 'All Webs' link and the 'WebTopicList' and read about 'WikiWord,' I was lost. Too much detail for an introduction to these topics.

Playing Around With PBWiki

Even though I created a Zoho account and added a few things, I think I had more fun w/PBWiki. Once I learned how to use it (thanks Mary!), I think it was easier than Zoho to navigate.

So What's in a Wiki?

I looked at the U of MN Libraries Staff Wiki Home Page, Book Lovers Wiki and ALA 2007 Washington DC Wiki. I liked all of them. The TS staff page (for the U of MN Libraries) has everything in there to include work procedures, department projects and personal news. We could do that for our department. I'm in a book club, so I really liked the Book Lovers Wiki because it gives reviews for a variety of genre. And for the last one (ALA), it's so simple it's surprising that no one has come up with this idea before. And a wiki is the perfect place to put that type of information.

On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

I read "Away from Icebergs" and "Into a New World of Librarianship." They were both interesting articles. It's good that libraries recognize changes in how information is collected and passed on to the public. The hard part is how to respond to and implement the changes necessary to make it work. And harder still, is how to get library employees to embrace these changes. For most of us, change is hard. But it's necessary unless we (the library and employees) want to get left behind.

Getting not-so-technical with Technorati

I did the keyword search for "Learning 2.0" in posts (673), blogs (720) and directory (7,186). I searched again in "popular blog, seraches and tags" (6,903). I was surprised that the posts and blogs weren't the same. I guess I thought that posts and blogs were similar. I played w/technorati in an earlier lesson (#7) and wasn't thrilled w/it then. And I'm still not thrilled w/it. I did attempt to post a blog and tag it (I actually took a blog from my blogs and assigned a tag to it). I also attempted to "claim it." But I got impatient because it took too long and I deleted it instead.

TS Group Lib.2.0

TS is meeting today to work on Lib.2.0.

Tagging, folksomonies & social bookmarking in Del.icio.us

If I wanted to bookmark a lot of websites, I think del.icio.us would be the tool to use to organize everything. I don't know how I would use it for work. Maybe if I play w/it some more and see how many people share my websites, I may like it better than bookmarking the old way.

Roll Your Own Search Engine

I had some trouble w/Rollyo. I was able to create an account. But once I created the account, I had a hard time navigating through the search roll. It wasn't very clear how to do it. This is the link to my search roll: http://rollyo.com/bbonnema/

A Thing About LibraryThing

This was a fun lesson, too. I'm in a book club and I can see using LibraryThing for the club. Sometimes we have trouble picking books that we want to read. By using the author or genre, we could get reviews and recommendations of good books to read. This is the link to my LibraryThing catalog: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/bbonnema

Play Around With Image Generators

I had fun w/this lesson, too. I explored The Generator Blog and got myself a blues name ("Destitute Cassie Coolridge"), designed some Delftware (a Dutch plate) and created a new M & M character. But my favorite is still FD Toys. It seems it has more options to get more creative.

Blog About Technology

I have enjoyed the lessons about Flickr and Picasa the most so far. I had fun playing w/both of them. I can see using Flickr for advertising Library events. And I can see using Picasa for both work and personal use, i.e. sharing photos w/friends and family.

Google Picasa Web Albums

http://picasaweb.google.com/brendabonnema8/SamplePictures?authkey=hZ6FLE09a6s
Take a look at this!

Sample Pictures

More Flickr Fun

I think that this lesson provided me w/the most entertainment. I had fun w/FD Toys' Trading Card Maker. I created 2 trading cards (my son's scout group & my Dad). And I created a magazine cover "Flowrs R Us." I can see great potential w/the magazine cover. For ex. w/heavier paper stock, it could be used for the programs/invitations/posters, etc. for NEMBA. I still consider myself to be computer illiterate, but it only took a couple minutes to whip up the magazine cover.