The Hype About Skype

It has taken Skype to get me to write another blog entry after several dormant weeks. Since hearing about Skype from my un-official co-advisor/mentor last summer, I have thought about downloading it yet never managed to do it. Yesterday, however, I was at a good friend’s house -- she was using Windows Live Messenger (WLM) to make some video calls. Inspired by my friend, I finally decided to download Skype (WLM is already on my Mac – as well as a built-in camera). We received our first Skype call and talked with my husband’s family. What a blast! I wasn't sure I would like it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to connecting with others via Skype or WLM. It also provided a nice diversion from my work. I finally get all the hype about Skype (and WLM). What’s next? Facebook? Twitter? I’ve been resistant to both, but who knows what the next diversion will bring.

The Mac Conversion

apple logo.jpg

Image borrowed from apple

Even for someone who is not technologically savvy, making the change from a PC to a MacBook couldn’t have been easier. Of course, there was the requisite “get to know your new computer" ritual that accompanies the purchase of any new computer. Plus Apple threw in a free iPod Touch (which is basically an iPhone without the phone) to help lure me into Apple-world. I recently read in the week that Apple sold 3 million of the latest generation iPhone’s in just one single month; they sold 1 million of the first generation iPhone in just over two months. After playing with my new iPod Touch, I can certainly see why – the iPod Touch is tech-bait for the iPhone.

I’ve always admired tech-geeks and, with time, would happily attempt to become one. Everyone I talk to seems to love their Mac and swears they would never go back to a PC. I’ve come to almost expect that a tech-geek is a Mac-user. My brother quickly disabused me of that notion – although after his operating system on his PC recently crashed (and he had to re-install it), he may come to see the light and convert.