Defining Leadership 7

Last week:
Leadership is having influence over a group, who share similar goals and philosophies as the leader. Leadership begins with one's core values and priorities in life, which can help direct their decisions and behavior. A leader should be able to view all different perspectives of the group.

This week:

Difference:
I decided not to change my definition for this week. I am very satisfied with my definition, and felt like this week's readings did not change my views on leadership.

Gladwell (2005) suggested not judging a book by its cover. Where Harding was chosen for presidency based on his physical appearance, but was not equipped for the position. I don't know how this reading would have changed my definition.

Tatum (1997) discussed racism in our society. I did not want to include these ideas into my emerging definition. However, racism could include leaders who share similar values.

Kezar (2000) discussed the different views of leadership among women and men, and the ability to view other perspectives. My definition already included a similar view.

Citations:
1. Gladwell, M. (2005). "The Warren Harding Error: Why we fall for tall, dark, and handsome men." Blink: The power of thinking without thinking (pp. 72 - 98). New York: Pushkin Enterprises.
2. Tatum, B. D. (1997). "Defining Racism: Can we talk?" Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? (pp. 3 - 17). New York: Basic Books.
3. Kezar, A. (2000). "Pluralistic Leadership: Incorporating Diverse Voices." The Journal of Higher Education, 71(6), Nov. - Dec., 2000, pp. 722-743. http://z.umn.edu/kezar