« | Main | Dia Numero Dos »

End of the second night

Earlier today, we learned about freshwater and it's impact on the Yacatan and snorkeled in Aukumal Bay. It was the first time that several of the students snorkeled. The students traveled to Playa del Carmen in the afternoon for shopping and fun. Tonight, we endied our activities with a talking circle. By the time we got all the way around the circle, we all laughed, cried, and had several of those "WOW" moments. When we were done, I talked a little about how Indigenous people beleive that learning means touching all our senses. Too often we are asked to listen to lectures, memorize facts and take tests. This was an opportunity for many students to learn new ideas and concepts through experience and feelings. I'd like to share some of the stories, but we all promised what was said in the cicle stays in the circle. I've never seen 15 college kids bond so quickly - it's like they've been friends their entire lives. I am honored to be a part of their circle - they are teaching me as much as I am teaching them!

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :)