Melinda

Hello everyone!

Sooo my name is Melinda and I am from good ol' Minneapolis. I am a senior in CFANS majoring in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management with a focus on water resources. I plan on graduating next fall and am considering going to graduate school or joining the Peace Corps or Conservation Corps. I am really interested in water quality and quantity issues throughout the world and am excited to volunteer with CEA. I will also be conducting a small research project looking at a few constructed wetlands and their ability to remove coliform bacteria from the water. A group of students did something similar to this last year and I'm looking forward to seeing what has changed, learning about other research techniques, gaining field experience, working in a lab and helping out CEA staff wherever needed.

Last fall I studied abroad in Lima, Peru for a semester. It was by far the best decision I have ever made! I love experiencing and learning about other cultures, so I am excited to get to know the locals in Akumal as well as learn about Mayan history.

In my free time I like to cook new foods, run, listen to music, dance and hang out with friends. I'm looking forward to exploring the area's unique environment- jungle, beach and reefs- by going on adventures, snorkeling, swimming and relaxing on the beach! I also can't wait to try authentic Mexican food and go out dancing. Even though the seminar is only 3 weeks, I think it will be jam packed with fun and opportunities to learn new things!

See ya soon!