Argument Revised

Bryan,

I know this is not a pretty version of things, but we have done all this work. I didn't think it was what you were looking for in the 4-5 sentences.

1. Argument: Bourgeois drama, specifically Diderot used drama to inspire social change through the use of new perspectives and cultural viewpoints- Family Picture- Blind man example. Give the middle class power.-Kevin
2. Visual changes- Draya
- Architecture
-painting
-changes in costuming
-getting the nobles off the stage
-introducing spectacle- Voltaire
3. Changes in theatrical practice -Kiara & Abby
- introduction of the fourth wall
- new subgenres
- movement toward sentimentalism
- representation and undermining identity (acting piece for diderot- actors taking on identities that are external. You can change roles by deciding to. There is no underlying identity. Putting on masks!)
- Can actors represent truth on stage? Rousseau, representations of reality undermine. Diderot says fiction is it's own truth. Presentational v representational.
- Changing from depicting ideal to everyday
- Who is the audience? Movement from court audience to everyday audience
- village as family (analogy of how to view the municipality) coming from the higher ups.
4. Political movements result from the changes and social - Abby & Kiara
- french revolution
- Enlightenment
5. A Family Picture- Everyone should incorporate this!
- Main character is patriarch- but he is not the wise all powerful (could the main character be the son?)
- Mistaken identity
-Upper class is depicted as evil
-Real human emotions given to lower class- no longer just a foil
-Lower class woman has agency and choices
-The sister portrays the moral ideal- refusing to lie to her father.
6. Why does this even matter? -Lizi
- How does focusing on specificity affect the larger universal truth of a piece? Fundamental truths.
- Let's move toward idealized world instead of traditional.
- THEATRE IS IMPORTANT. By focusing on a new audience/ finding a new way to communicate with them- we are more likely to be able to affect change. Give them access and new perspectives and social change is possible!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting this addendum so promptly. I will raise your grade 5 points for doing so.

This is much better in showing me some of the specifics that you were thinking about in terms of what material you will cover in the presentation. Right now, it looks like you are trying to cover a lot of information in a short amount of time, and I encourage you to plan through your presentation a little more specifically (that's what this assignment was really designed to do). Think through what the main argument is and what are the critical modules you need to include to present that argument. Then, cut out the "fat" (what's not absolutely necessary) and see where you are in terms of time. I encourage you to write out what you will say in order to be able to fit more in and to help time yourselves. If you get the main points of your argument expressed and find that you have more time available, then consider including the more tangential information (I'm thinking, for instance, that there might be 1 or 2 visual changes you want to talk about for sure, but maybe you can include the others if you have time in the presentation).

I'm also a little unsure about some of the aspects you mention in your last point: Why does this even matter? I think I get what you're saying in terms of the idealized world versus the traditional one - but can you phrase this more in terms of historiographic questions? In other words, think through what we learn in looking at this period of history - what does it tell us about theatre today?

Thanks, and feel free to write with more questions!