Andraya's Blog Number One

When we were first assigned the topic of Bourgeois Drama I was intrigued to learn more about this topic as I was very unsure of it. During my first attempt to find information, I had a hard time finding anything relevant to Bourgeois Drama 1700-1770. However, I did reveal that "bourgeois" is actually defined as the middle class, the position assumed between peasants and the wealthy. In contrast to traditional theatre of the times, Bourgeois Drama focused on several different aspects undertaking non-traditional plots and steering in a new direction. Denis Diderot was a prominent spokesperson for the new drama, which in turn was a combination of "serious comedy and "bourgeois tragedy". George Lillo's works were a big source of inspiration for Diderot. Bourgeois Drama can be related to sources of truth and use of self-expression while equally promoting emphasis on what all humans value regardless of economic status. By removing the upper class from the stage, darkening the auditorium, and placing bright lights on the actors themselves, it allowed the emotional absorption of characters to unfold making theatre (performances) very real to everyone who attended. While this is just a scratch in the surface, I must continue to look for more sources into Bourgeois drama as there is not a whole lot of information in our libraries that I have been able to find. The search continues.
-Andraya

Andraya,

Lots of great info here. I like how you chart your journey from knowing essentially nothing about the era to discussing how terms become illuminated and useful to you. It's great that you're not only putting emphasis on the important figures of bourgeois tragedy, but also the qualities of the theatre (i.e. the darkening of the auditorium and the use of bright lights) that also mark the transition to this new form.

I seem to be missing your second entry. Please be sure to promptly post all future entries to avoid a greater penalty.

Bryan