« A Life of Design | Main | Research Project Ideas »

a clockwork of familiarity

Blog 5:
How does the build environment effect who you are.

The built environment is man-made surroundings that provide the setting for human activity. By this definition, the built environment is personal and differs from person to person.

The standards and familiarities of a rural farmer can be very different from an urban dwelling lawyer or businessman.

1537734303_a708d1ec4e.jpg

The farmer is surrounded by manual labor excorsizing body over mind. He is surrounded by equipment the lawyer will most likely never need to get familiar with, thus requiring the farmer to have different knowledge of how to fix these machines. He will probably teach him son these skills, influencing the next generation to exist in a similar built environent.

loft.bmp

The lawyer may be acustomed to culture and foods that the farmer may have not experienced, and exherts more metal energy for work. The next generation of this person would be accustomed to these foods, economic status, and comforts, making that the standard of his built environment.

The items, tractors or flatscreen tv's, make up frameworks of comfort, which is familiar to a person. Familiarity is a clockwork each rely on in determining their future environment.

My built environment has been less familiar. From birth to age 5 my family worked with an orginazation called navigators and moved four times to four different states, but I was too young to think of anything as a built environment. and from 5-13 we stayed in one place, but my focus was not yet on design and still didn't think of things in terms of 'environments' or 'clockworks'. At age 13 my parents divorced, splitting my familiarity into fragments. The next year my dad was remarried, introducing a new component I would need to integrate into my clockwork of familiarity. The following year my mother moved away, taking away a scource of familiarity.

I feel that all of these events, after moving on from the damaging parts, increased my environment and showed that what seems to be familiar, what seems to be a reliable clockwork, its kinda just a thing itself.

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched all over the place and simply couldn't come across. What a great site.