« Parental Relationships | Main | Reflections on Daydreams of the Future »

Another Career Possibility

Ever since I read Hemmingway’s A Farewell to Arms, I’ve placed “ambulance driver? in my maybe-pile of possible career options. The career card relating to this that I found in my text book is Emergency Medical Technician. On the back of the card, this person is said to perform “emergency medical care and rescue as part of an ambulance or emergency room staff.? Sounds pretty cool, right? I think so. I also find that last bit, the part about emergency room staff, pretty inviting. Being an ER doc is also something I’ve considered. So, pros and cons….let’s see…I’d definitely have to know my stuff about human anatomy and all that, which is not a bad thing, it just means a lot of schooling. Would med school be required? I think it would if I chose to be the ER doc, but not if I chose to be an EMT. I’m not entirely sure. ER doc would require working in a hospital, which I’ve decided, for the most part, is not an option. Being an EMT would mean being on the go a lot, which I really think I’d like—it would keep me from watching the clock during the work day. Being an EMT would also mean loads of new and old situations every day, which sounds quite inviting. I think a fast-paced job would be pretty cool. As for the responsibility? Hm…that’s another issue entirely. It’s not that I don’t think I could handle the responsibility, because I have complete confidence in my ability to learn all the necessary info and apply it when it’s needed, but I’m not sure I’d want the responsibility. I’m very much a care-giving person, and that part of the job would be amazing and would totally fit me, but I think it’s clear that an EMT has an obligation to administer more than just soothing attention to the patient. So, conclusion…um….I don’t think I’d like to be an ER doc (even though, if I were to be a doctor, that’s one of like two kinds I’d seriously consider), but I might consider being an EMT if I got to drive an ambulance and administer care to people that way.