« What is Unique About Me? | Main | Relationships »

Intellectual Curiosity

How has intellectual curiosity been a part of my life and education? It's a good question that I have thought about a lot in the past couple of years. I have always been kind of a closet bookworm, even since elementary school, and have always enjoyed learning, but I have to remind myself of that sometimes. In my high school I had the option of attending a smaller, sort of experimental school at the Minnesota Zoo. It was called the School of Environmental Studies and was about 400 juniors and seniors. It sounds like a bit of a hippie school, and sometimes it was, but even more than that it was a school about learning in a different way, and learning in a way that is much more related to the real world. While I was attending I thought about how much I loved to learn all the time, of course there were times when it was just school and I didn't really care, but much more often we were learning about something that affects my life, or the entire world, in a way that made me think I could do something with this information. I think that is one of the main reasons that I continue to have intellectual curiosity in my life (even if I have to remind myself of that during midterms week) and why with all the other crazy things I want to do with my life, continuing to learn and expanding my education is an important part of my plans. I have no idea what I want to study, but I know that I am going to continue learning, reading, and expanding my ideas of the world as I continue to grow. Because of this, I know that whatever career I end up choosing, it will need to be something that keeps me learning and changes enough that I can't ever stop learning.