« Relationships | Main | Career Possibility #1 (not my first choice, just the first to be looked into) »

My sense of identity after a developmental crisis

I have gone through a lot of changes in my life over the past year and most of them were caused by a developmental crisis. Last fall I was enrolled at the University of Iowa as a freshman and thought life was great. I was still the shy, unnoticed girl from high school, but they didn't know that there and I had a chance for a fresh start. Unfortunately, through a series of different reasons, it was not the school for me and I left after the first semester. I thought I had screwed up my life and that I was never going to get the things that I wanted, but then I really started working on what went wrong and who I wanted to be and I found myself changing. I faced this crisis head on and worked my butt off to get control of my life and make this situation into a positive experience. I found a college that was right for me and I found a way to become the person that I always wanted to become. If you had met me a year ago you wouldn't be able to recognize me. Sometimes I don't recognize myself because everything I'm doing is so different than what I would have ever done before. It isn't that I am being a fake version of me, I just found out who I really was and how to express it to the world. I've never been happier with myself and how my life is going than I am right now. Even when normal life problems come up (and they have come up) I know that just because I react differently towards them now I am going to be okay. I'm the same person on the inside, but now that I can finally show the world who I am, my entire identity has changed for the better.