« Intellectual Curiosity | Main | My sense of identity after a developmental crisis »

Relationships

Relationships always affect our lives, whether we want them to or not, and my life is no exception. Everyone is influenced by their parents, or whoever is in that position of authority over them, and they are always a big part of who you become. My parents have given me a lot of who I am and who I am going to be, they are the ones who taught me to always keep learning, they told me I could do whatever I wanted with my life, and they even fully support my decisions about seeing the world as my life's goal. It's not that they never try and hold me back, they aren't perfect and neither am I, but I've come to a point in my life that I can break through their barriers and be totally my own person when we disagree about certain decisions I, or they, have made. The search for relationships also really influences a persons life, and again, I am no exception. Starting school here has made me search for new relationships in terms of creating a support system of friends that I could fall back on, and as I found them, what I did with my time changed. It wasn't that I wasn't being true to myself, but that I was exploring parts of me that was more in common with the people I was choosing to be around. Even after only being here a month, I have found people that I really care about and who really care about me, but I've also found some people that I am choosing not to have a relationship with. They aren't bad people, but after spending some time with them I decided that I didn't like who I was around them. I am going to have to face challenges like that for the rest of my life and I am glad to find out that I have the strength and presence of mind to realize when I need to get away from certain people. Another way the search for relationships will affect my life is when I'm looking for The relationship, the one that will hopefully be a marriage and a family. I refuse to spend my time worrying about whether or not it will happen, or it needing to happen by a certain time in my life, but I know that when it does, it will be a pivotal time in my life that will definitely shape the rest of my life. Relationships are a necessary part of life that I personally think are awesome most of the time, but to think that they won't shape who you are would be an incredibly naive way to think about your life.