« Experts Identify Really Significant Time-Wasters | Main | Cultural Diversity »

Goal Setting

Everyone always talks about setting goals for the future and how important it really is, but I've never been able to set those goals that would probably end up meaning the most. I have my distant goals, like when I was in high school I knew I wanted to go to college and now I know what I want to pursue as a career, but I have never been good at setting those goals that get me to where I want to be. In high school I applied to three colleges, none of which I really thought that I would get in or would want to go to. I ended up getting into the two I didn't want to go to and had to pick between them. I dropped out my second semester and went on an intense search for a better college for me. This time I was able to set the smaller goals that I was lacking in high school. I applied to 14 schools and got in to all of them so I had a big range of options. Now I know what my career is going to be, but I have no plans for my college career that will really get me there. This time I don't think I'll have a do-over and that kind of scares me. I need to focus more on planning the rest of my college career so that I can accomplish my long-term goals, but I think I'm going to need a lot of self-motivation to do it.