« Physical Self-Care | Main | Self-fulfilling Failures »

The Future Can Be So Ambiguous...

If you were going to be dead in six days, would you really want to know? As I sit here and contemplate an early death (don’t worry, I’m not suicidal), I wonder about the answer to that question. Due to the ambiguity of all things in the future, and to the lack of authentic fortune-tellers, we’ll never really know what career or lifestyle or partner awaits us. But that’s a good thing, right? Not knowing who’s around the corner or what we might have for breakfast if the local café is out of oatmeal monster cookies? I guess I’d say that that is a good thing. Besides, certain sporadic events would never be as much fun if you knew all about them in advance. Hence the word, “sporadic,? which is a very amusing word, by the way. For me, it always brings up an image of square-dancing toadstools. Anyway, the above question might be a bit more daunting than “would you want to know what career you’ll end up with?? or something, but, on the whole (at least with the semi-lighter questions), I think I can say with some self-assurance that I wouldn’t like to know what lies ahead before things come along on their own. What fun would that be?