Project 4 file

GD1PR4.pdf

This is my final project. I created double sided documents that were to be cut in four cards. The backside is the tarot card and the front is the icon+text for the tarot card that I used to summarize my daily experiences. Overall I feel very satisfied with my project and it gave me a lot of insight into the complexities of making simple images.

Journal entries

Here's my final journal entries. I haven't been able to post lately but I've drawn the last four cards for my project.

Judgement: A swift and conclusive decision. The resolution of a matter long unanswered. A change in point of view, most frequently towards greater enlightenment. Final balancing of karma.

Ten of Wands (Oppression): Success and gain, leading you to take on a burden greater than you can carry. Noble leadership transformed, through lack of restraint, into tyranny. The crushing weight of ultimate responsibility. Having spent their fuel, the engines of creation grind to a halt.

Knight of Wands: The essence of fire, such a great conflagration. One filled with vitality and passion for life. A sexy and exciting person, daring in their actions, cocky in their attitude, and utterly without fear. Absolute sincerity, coupled with violent emotions that swing wildly from one extreme to another. Boundless creativity and lust for a change of both pace and place. The rapid approach, or more likely departure, of something that sets your world ablaze. Often suggests travel or escape.

The Sun: A time of contentment and freedom from restraints. Creative inspiration. Achievement, success, and warmth. Light and love in personal or business matters. Happiness and faithfulness in a relationship.

4th card

My 4th card is Temperance: Calm and restraint. Self-control, patience and tact in handling situations. The act of applying balanced spiritual and psychic forces to physical life.
The card features an angel with one foot in a stream and the other on land, he is pouring water from one cup into another. He bears the symbol of a triangle with the sun shining brightly in the background.
The triangle is a symbol of unity of love and the love of the mother, father, and child. The angel stands with one foot in water which symbolizes the spiritual, metaphysical, subconscious aspects of life and the other foot on land which symbolizes the real, physical, grounded aspects of life. The sun in the background speaks to the essence of finding happiness through having found ones place in the universe. The card altogether speaks of being patient/temperant and healing through meditative calm and balancing the opposing forces in ones life.

3rd card

My third card I'm working on is the Four of Pentacles (Power): Cleaving to earthly power in the desperate fear that it will be lost. Making yourself an obstacle to progress due to lack of originality and a desperate fear of change. Believing that security and identity are based primarily on the possession of material things. Coveting things and people. Living in a cloud of suspicion and prejudice.

2nd Card

My second card drawn is the three of cups. Some f the symbolism is the same such as the theme of having plenty, joy, and celebration. Three of Cups (Abundance): A time of merriment and reflection spent in the company of friends and loved ones. The conclusion of a matter in plenty and perfection. The strength of a diverse community being brought together. May suggest a celebration, festival, anniversary, wedding, baby shower, or other joyous gathering.
The card depicts the three graces as
Aglaia: Splendor
Euphrosyne: Good Cheer
Thalia: Joviality

Some questions the Three of Cups asks of us:

How much joy can I stand?
Can I release myself to such an extent that I may succumb to total elation?
How can I more fully enjoy celebrations and parties?
What can I do to incorporate a sense of playfulness in my daily life?
Can I accept that joy is my natural state, and that I do not have to earn it?
Other symbols include flowers and laurel wreaths.

Card Project entry 1

I decided that I'm going to do my project using tarot cards as the source of my icons. I fund a website where I can have a computer randomly draw tarot cards and do reading for me online. I decided that what I'd do is have it draw a card for me each day and then use that card and recreate it with the understanding of it's own symbolic meanings reinterpreted visually to illustrate my own personal experience.
My first drawing was the six of cups. The card initially depicts two children with the boy handing the girl a cup filled with flowers (in the Rider-Waite tarot deck) with a tower and a house in the background and five cups in the foreground filled with similar flowers like the one the young boy is holding out to the young girl. The reading says:
Six of Cups (Pleasure): Opening your heart to the simple pleasures of life. Fond memories fuel the playful embrace of love and life. Experiencing the joy of youth. Engaging in acts of gentle kindness. Harmony of natural forces without effort or strain. Meeting an old friend. Other keywords describing the six of cups as it pertains to most situations are Goodwill, Innocence, and Childhood.

Project 3

Designers couch

I found this site devoted to graphic design news and goings-on. I think it's not only a great source for imnspriration and up-to-date news but it's got a spiffy layout too!
www.designerscouch.org

3D projections

I found a link to this site recently of a graphic designer that has a video where some people created 3D animations that were then projected onto bulidings to create dynamic light shows. I thought it was pretty cool and a great idea that could be exploited for the evil use of commercial gain via graphic design >:-)
http://www.ndesign-studio.com/

Portfolio

I've just launched my portfolio online. The URL is www.mitchellbercier.com/ Feel free to not give me any feed back. haha otherwise i've just been surfing other portfolio websites. There's a lot of nice ones out there, competition is fierce. http://www.webdesignstuff.com/best_website_design/best_portfolio/