Do I have it in me?

I am working with a teacher at Edison High School to contact staff involved with helping students prepare for college. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of financial advice for students planning to go to college -- especially not in the way I'm thinking. Right now, the most help students enjoy is having a packet of scholarships and financial aid applications thrown at them. Parents are not involved. There is no investment in the project. Few kids know about it.

I intend to know by the end of the semester whether I will be starting this organization. I can use the winter break to do some networking and build a foothold at Edison High School, which will be my guinea pig. If things go well, I will bring it to other schools in the area. With the Internet and connections with students across the country, I could potentially build a nation-wide network of financially-literate adults who want to help kids plan and prepare financially for a tertiary education.

But I say again: Do I have it in me?

Posted by at 3:04 PM

Wikipedia on Social Entrepreneurship

Wikipedia has a new entry on "social entrepreneurship." I hope my writing is boring enough for an encyclopedia. You can go here to see the article. But because Wikipedia is open sourced and is always changing, I've copied the original text below:

"Social entrepreneurship" is the act of a social entrepreneur. A social entrepreneur is someone who recognizes a social problem and uses traditional entrepreneurial principles to organize, create, and manage a venture to make social change. Whereas business entrepreneurs typically measure performance in profit and return, social entrepreneurs often start nonprofits and citizen groups.

The phrase, "social entrepreneurship," has only come into vogue over the past 10 to 15 years, but examples of social entrepreneurship permeate history. People such as Vinoba Bhave (founder of India's Land Gift Movement), Florence Nightingale (founder of the first nursing school and developer of modern nursing practices), and Margaret Sanger (founder of Planned Parenthood Federation of America) are all recognized social entrepreneurs.

Today, organizations such as Ashoka and the Manhattan Institute promote, fund, and advise social entrepreneurs around the planet. In fact, since its founding in 1982, Ashoka has elected more than 1,500 entrepreneurs from more than 50 countries into its Fellowship. U.S. News named Bill Drayton, the founder and operator of Ashoka, one of America's top 25 leaders in 2005.

Posted by at 9:05 PM

Randoms from the World of Social Entrepreneurship

Did you know:

The phrase "social entrepreneurship" gets approximately half as many hits on Yahoo! as does "Courtney Love."

The Skoll Foundation (detailed below) gave the Institute for OneWorld Health led by Victoria Hale (detailed below) a $615,000 grant recently.

That Wikipedia does not have an entry for "social entrepreneurship." (I think I may have to change that.)

That Ashoka spends more than seven million dollars annually to finance its fellows.

That the Silverton Foundation gave its 2005 Social Entrepreneur of the year award to this man.

Posted by at 6:55 PM