« Sprint Nextel vs MN | Main | U.N. envoy in Myanmar »

Bush and Global Warming

The president gave a speech on climate change and pollution at a U.S. lead conference of major economic powers on Friday. The Washington Post reports the president claimed he takes the threat of climate change seriously and vowed that the United States "will do its part" to reduce the greenhouse gases that are warming the planet. This comes after years of him being on the defensive and expressing doubt about global warming. According to the WP Bush found himself largely isolated at a meeting that he had organized to address the issue, lambasted by foreign officials, U.S. lawmakers and environmental activists who saw his effort as more show than substance. According to the LA Times the president insisted on voluntary goals for reducing pollution levels, which he said could be met largely through new technology that would create "an age of clean energy." Critics of his stance disagree and say some form of mandatory limit on emissions is needed. The LA Times reports the president set a two-year deadline for nations at the conference to reach a consensus on how to cut emissions, a schedule that punts the decision to his successor.

I’m not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission. Wanita Mizenko

Well, I wrote this a few years ago, but I think it was mostly online. But thank you, I'm glad you found it useful. But, FYI; there was an article written by Al Gore that was published in the latest edition of Rolling Stone magazine you might find helpful/interesting/informative, on the subject of climate change.

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!