« February 2007 | Main | April 2007 »

March 29, 2007

Minnesota Man Killed in Iraq

By Natalie Bervig

Former Minnesota man Spc. Sean K. Mcdonald, 21, died Sunday after a bomb exploded near his vehicle in Baghdad.

Although he only lived in Rosemount for a couple years, his sister Jessica said he planned to return here after his duty was finished next year.

McDonald is the 55th person with connections to Minnesota that has died due to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.


I found it to be very interesting that the Pioneer Press was not able get in contact with the family for information and kept thier story strictly to the facts - http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_5543700 - when the Star Tribune did a very lengthy story after talking with the sister of the victim. One paper must have been more persistant! http://www.startribune.com/722/story/1087771.html

March 20, 2007

Minnesota Teen Shot In Florida Hotel

By Natalie Bervig

18-year-old Lance D. Ulland, of Austin, Minn., was shot and killed early Sunday morning in his hotel room in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Police say that Ulland had been visiting Daytona Beach over spring break with his mother as they were looking into moving there. Two of Ulland's cousins were staying at the Economy Inn and invited him to stay.

The three of them, along with another man and woman were in there room drinking when they heard a knock at their door, police said. When Ulland opened the door, he was shot and killed.

The suspect, Matthew A. Castro, 27, of Jacksonville, Fla., told police that Ulland had been involved in a drug deal gone wrong.

Police are suspicious and are still looking for a motive.


The Tribune mentioned a little about Ulland and his life at home, http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1065082.html
but the pioneer press said more and described how he didn't have a record which made the shooting even more suspicious.http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/16936612.htm

March 8, 2007

Landfall Hero

By Natalie Bervig

LANDFALL - A man who saved his daughter from a burning mobile home this morning in Landfall is now being called a hero.

The man, along with his wife and son did not survive.

The brother of the man, who had been staying overnight, along with the daughter are currently being treated at Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

The names of the victims have not been released.

The state Fire Marshall is investigating the cause of the fire that took place in the 300 block of North Dellwood Square in the Landfall Mobile Home Park. There is no evidence of arson or foul play.

This is the second of two fires in the area within the past few months.

The star Tribune went more in depth with their reporting by getting multiple accounts from witnesses which were helpful to illustrate the story. http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1040468.html

The Pioneer press had a shorter story with less detail. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16860030.htm

March 6, 2007

Warning: Sleeping on Planes May Be Dangerous

By Natalie Bervig

MINNEAPOLIS - A flight from Seattle to Minneapolis turned ugly for a female passenger Monday night.

Smauel Oscar Gonzalez is charged with simple assalt after allegedly touching a femal passenger while she was asleep and ejaculating on her.

The criminal complaint says that the woman felt Gonzalez touching her and moving her shirt upwards and then he got up and moved to another seat. The complaint also states that when she went to fix her shirt she found semen and immediately notified a flight attendant.

Gonzalez is an employee of Northwest Airlines and works in the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport's fleet services division.

Gonzalez appeared in court on Monday night and is being held in the Sherburne County Jail.

The two papers covered the story in a very similar way. I did feel like the pioneer press, http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16840595.htm, went into a bit more detail. The Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1034178.html, also added something that the Pioneer press did not. This was the risk of a sexually transmitted disease being passed on to the victim.

March 5, 2007

Werewolf Under the Full Moon

By Natalie Bervig

FOND DU LAC, Wis. - Robert Marsh, a 39-year-old male, told police he was a werewolf that was capable of changing shapes after breaking into a woman's apartment Thursday.

Marsh, a former inmate, was staying at the apartment, but forced his way in around 3 a.m. Thursday the woman said.

The complaint says that Marsh had been drinking heavily, and was in possesion of marijauna.

Marsh is scheduled to appear in cout on March 14. Bail is set at $5,000.

Both the Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com/484/story/1033096.html, and the Pioneer Press, http://www.twincities.com:80/mld/twincities/16839167.htm, used the Associated Press version of the story. MyFox Wisonsin also used the AP story. http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=2575029&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

March 3, 2007

Attack of the Vulcans

By Natalie Bervig

ST. PAUL - Another bartender is suing the producers of the St. Paul Winter Carnival and eight members of the Vulcans of the 2005 Krewe.

The suit, which was filed in Dakota Country last week, claims that the plaintiff, who was 19 at the time, was fondled and groped in a ritual performed by eight of the Vulcans.

The suit also says that the woman was told to keep the information secret and not tell the police about the incident.

This suit is not the only one that has been filed against the defendants. Two other women filed suit in October of 2005.


The Star Tribune did not describe teh actual incident in very much detail. It stuck mostly to the facts and the suit. http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1032381.html

The pioneer press, on the other hand, described the act pretty graphically and really made the defendants look bad.http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/16814391.htm

March 1, 2007

Rape Claims Proven False

By Natalie Bervig

ST. PAUL - Answers to the investigation of an alleged rape that took place last October in St. Paul have now been found.

Police say that the sex between the 40-year-old woman and alleged attacked was consensual.

After months of investigation police found evidence of internet conversations and other documentation that proved the allegations to be false.

The woman will be investigated for filing a false report and obstrucing the legal process. A case against the woman will be sent to the St. Paul City Attorney's office in the next couple of weeks.

Both the Star Tribune and the Pioneer Press covered the story. The Pioneer Press went more in depth with the story as they talked about the details of the initial rape allegation.