« Friends - Nicole Branagh and Wiz Bachman McCutcheon | Main | America's Best Colleges 2008 (Forbes) - We're #524 »

Trouble in River City

President Mason Extends Sexual Harassment Training to Faculty and Staff
From the Iowa City Press-Citizen:

Mason to require sex harassment training

By Brian Morelli
Iowa City Press-Citizen

In the aftermath of an alleged good grades for sexual favors scandal, University of Iowa President Sally Mason wants all UI faculty and staff to receive sexual harassment training.

Mason spoke out on Tuesday in a letter to faculty, staff and students saying conduct detailed in the allegations against UI political science professor Arthur Miller will not be tolerated.

Miller is accused of urging four female students to perform sexual favors, such as to show their breasts or allow him to fondle them, between May 8 and May 13. He has been criminally charged with four counts of bribery, a class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Miller, 66, who does not teach during the summer, will be put on paid leave on Aug. 25, the first day of fall semester, as UI continues its own investigation. He has been at UI since 1985 and earns $123,500 annually.

Here is the full text of Mason's e-mail to employees:

Dear Colleagues:

Today, I feel compelled to speak publicly about the criminal charges filed against a UI faculty member for bribery involving the alleged assignment of grades for sexual favors.

While every person is entitled to the presumption of innocence, I want to state strongly and unequivocally that such conduct will not be tolerated. It is profoundly damaging to the students and to the educational process.

I applaud the courage of the student victims in coming forward to report this conduct to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity and to the UI Police Department.

Currently all supervisory personnel are required to undergo sexual harassment training. I have asked Provost Loh to work with our faculty and staff governing bodies to extend the required training to all faculty and staff.

Sincerely,

Sally Mason
President

People at the U of I don't seem to be too happy about this new requirement.

I remember when I was subjected to such training at 3M in the eighties and can understand why people are not happy with this training. On the other hand at 3M sexual harassment was NOT tolerated, When I reported an incident that I witnessed to a supervisor, he literally ran out of my office to go and do something about it - immediately.

Sadly, ethical behavior is not always the norm at universities. Some of the things that I have witnessed over the years at the U of M would never have been tolerated at 3M.