« The Cost of Central Administration | Main | A counterweight to the influence of drug money on clinical trials? »

Driven to Discover - Maybe we don't pay Regents Professors enough?

handicapped.jpg

UD posts on a recent little ick, where else but in the U of M med school...

It’s funny how sometimes…

… when you learn one little extra thing about a person, and then go back and read something about them, it reads completely differently.

For instance, Robert Hebbel is a professor who uses his wife’s disability parking permit illegally. He was just fined for doing it at the school where he works, the University of Minnesota.

So here’s an article written about him not long ago. UD has enjoyed snickering through it with this new information.

Start with the headline.

DR. ROBERT P. HEBBEL IS DRIVEN TO DISCOVER HOW THE BIOLOGY OF SICKLE CELL DISEASE WORKS

[Dr. Hebbell is] a fellow who’s very busy and very driven.

… Hebbel was attracted to the problem solving approach of internal medicine. “”I love the chase! I love using your wits to design an experiment to solve the problem,” he says. “I love the “aha!” moment, finding out how something works in biology.” [The chase! Problem solving! Using your wits! You can experience the very same thrills figuring out how to take parking spaces away from disabled people.] … I do things that are risky,” he says.

… “I’ve always just done what seems to be interesting to me in the moment.”