« And Another One Bites the Dust, Grassley Strikes Again... | Main | Another Creative Use of Online Education? »

Now this is interesting, but I have no idea what to make of it...

From Nathan M. Hansen's blog:

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Minnesota Supercomputer Institute and DNA collected from Minnesota newborns, a Data Practices Act Request to the University of Minnesota.

During the course of my ongoing investigation of what happens to DNA bloodspots collected by the Minnesota Department of Health, I have learned that the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute at the University of Minnesota has been working in conjunction with the Minnesota Partnership for Biotechnology and Medical Genomics.

In accordance with this information I have received, I have drafted two new data practices act requests to the University of Minnesota. One deals with the intellectual property created at the Cargill Building for Microbial & Plant Genomics, which appears to become property of Cargill. The other request deals with the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute and asks for the following information...

Mr. Hansen then outlines the specifics of his request, please see the link above for more informatin.

It appears that there is much, much more to the collection and dissemination of DNA collected from Minnesota's Newborns. The Department of Health has not mentioned anything about the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute in its prior replies to my data practices act requests about studies being conducted with our DNA.

Whether DNA is "de-identified" or not, it is still our property. These studies being conducted without our consent or knowledge is beyond demeaning to human dignity. One wonders if the Democrats who fought so hard to try and increase the power to confiscate our DNA this prior legislative session are aware of these studies that are being conducted with the DNA of Minnesota infants. It's not just about a quick genetic test to look for obscure genetic diseases, it's about a huge multi-million dollar operation involving the State of Minnesota, the private Mayo Clinic, and other private multinational companies.

It should be very interesting to see how all this sorts out.

Full disclosure: I am a fellow of the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute and active in its research and educational mission.