« How to make medical school more affordable? | Main | When, if ever, is the University of Minnesota Administration Going to Learn? »

Tuition Assistance Alone May Not Be Enough...

From the Indystar:

At Indiana and Purdue universities, new scholarship programs have been put into place to bolster the accounts of 21st Century Scholar students, needy students who qualify for four years of tuition-free education, but not housing expenses and textbooks. The new scholarships will take care of those expenses, too.

"... IU distributed $382 million in financial aid (a figure that includes federal and state aid) to 28,440 students out of about 30,000 undergraduates on campus in 2008-09."

So, if 95% of students are getting financial aid, how is this different from increasing baseline state and federal aid to IU and reducing tuition? In other words, when is mass individual aid really just institutional funding?

(NB: I wholeheartedly support the concept of affordable higher education for all academically-qualified students - I just question the apparent bureaucratic sleight-of-hand.)

I guess I don't understand your point...

If students are getting aid for housing expenses and books, in addition to scholarships, then they will emerge from college or university less in debt. Simply reducing tuition is not going to accomplish the same thing.

Right now, according to Kiplinger, the average debt for U of M grads is $25K. For IU and Purdue it is around $20K and they outdo us in graduation rate. Maybe we could learn something from Indiana besides bureaucratic sleight-of-hand at which our administration is, indeed, best in the BigTen?