« Surprise, Surprise, AMA Against Obama's Healthcare plans | Main | Youngest Guantanamo Detainee Freed... »

And Another One (Hopefully) Bites the Dust

Why we need very strong conflict of interest policies at the University of Minnesota Medical School, the example of the emailing prick from Emory...

UD - as usual on the case - abstracts some damning email form Grassley's bomb of a letter to Emory:

Professor Zachary Stowe of Emory University wants his money, and he wants it now.

An enthusiastic salesman for Glaxo drugs, Stowe spends a great deal of time giving pitches to various audiences. He doesn’t just say things Glaxo wants to hear; he writes them.

“Dr. Stowe is on board for publicity efforts,” writes a public relations person to Glaxo about a press release. “We [want] to secure distribution [of research results] on Emory letterhead — as you know, [this will] provide further credibility to data for the media.”

Stowe loves the money; Glaxo loves the credibility Emory’s letterhead brings. A perfect relationship, undisclosed to Emory, of course…

Senator Grassley attaches to his latest letter to Emory about its enterprising psychiatry professors a series of emails Stowe wrote demanding payment for canceled events.

Email #1: What provisions do you propose for my compensation for the lost time? …. GSK… should cover the cost of the trip as well.

Email #2: I am willing to discuss… renumeration [sic] for a single talk ($2,500) rather than the two scheduled.

Email #3: [Same idea. Still no response.]

Email #4: Now that I have had to invest the time to find some resolution to this problem, I am no longer in a compromising mood. [Now you owe me] $4,500.

Email #5: I do not want to be a prick, but given the time and frustration, [you] should pay me for both talks.

From the comments on this post:

# Michael Tinkler Says:
June 10th, 2009 at 10:43PM

My goodness. In a moment of curiosity I read the pdf. I think the only word for him might indeed be "prick."

# Bill Gleason Says:
June 10th, 2009 at 8:57PM

Reminds me of the old joke about the money-hungry psychiatrist: If you are late, he starts without you.

My late uncle, a psychiatrist, told me this. Of course he actually did therapy, mostly with adolescents.