« Beware the clock! | Main | The Word From West Laf... New Science Dean is a Gopher »

Jeff Roberts, department of chemistry chair, leaves the U for Purdue

For background, see the earlier post:

Purdue College of Science Dean Search

Dear Members of the Chemistry Department:

It is with very mixed emotions that I announce I will be leaving the University of Minnesota to move to Purdue University, where I will become Dean of Science. I have told Dean Crouch about my decision, and he has begun putting a plan in place to appoint an interim department chair. I will work closely with that person to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

I will be leaving for Indiana in early August, but not without a good deal of sadness. I have enjoyed working in the Department of Chemistry very much, and I do not look forward to leaving my many friends here.

Jeff

Jeffrey Roberts
Distinguished McKnight University Professor
Chair, Department of Chemistry

The chemistry department at the U has taken some terrible hits in the past few years. It is going to be hard to be an interdisciplinary power with out strong disciplinary input - such as chemistry. This is another example of where the administration needs to be paying better attention.