« Beer outside the stadium? | Main | Beer outside the stadium? »

Beer outside the stadium?

From Charley Walters:

The University of Minnesota has opted for a no-alcohol policy for Gophers football games inside TCF Bank this season. But for those of appropriate age who want to enjoy a beer at the games this season, athletic director Joel Maturi said today, there will be tailgating right outside TCF Bank Stadium, as well as other nearby venues, including the University's McNamara Alumni Center.

"It's only in the stadium that the policy exists," Maturi said.

It's also possible beer might be available, albeit at private parties, at the Mariucci and Williams arenas across the street.

Some questions:

And just how much will those tailgating parking places cost?
I've heard some rather high numbers...

And the obvious question, the answer to which has lead to the U's no alcohol IN the stadium policy: How are "mixed" age groups going to be controlled? Will the cops stroll 'mongst the tailgaters asking for ID?

Private parties in Maruch and Williams? I don't think I'd try that. Seems to be in direct contradiction of what's been said before? Maybe OurCEO could have a chardonnay party over at Eastcliff before/after the game?

Can anyone say hypocrisy.