« Faculty for the Renewal of Public Education (FRPE) Letter to U of M Faculty Senate | Main | Speaking Truth to Power: Step up, Mr. President »

I will fight no more forever ...

ChiefJoseph.jpeg

Chief Joseph

I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed. Looking Glass is dead. Toohulhulsote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led the young men is dead.

It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills and have no blankets, no food. No one knows where they are--perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.

I'm almost there, but not quite. I was disappointed by the faculty vote: 130 - 26 for this sad resolution of our good, parachute-equipped, president. Well, see you next year, folks, when things will be even worse and you will have to take a lot bigger hit than a couple percent.

Some people covered themselves with glory and some with dung. Eva von Dassow and Pat Schlievert caught my ear. Thank God for their honesty.

So let's suck it up. The hard part is coming.