« One of the Morrill Hall Gang Speaks Up on Inside Higher Education | Main | The Academic-Industrial Complex »

New Post Up at Star-Tribune Community Voices

Innovation, Job Creation, and the Difference Between Academic and Industrial Research, An Introduction

(Pretty pompus title, I'll agree...)

Executive Summary: The next five years are going to make or break the state of Minnesota that we know and love and a large part of the problem is to get the public to recognize our problems and do something about them. Tom Rukavina and most sensible politicians from the three major parties recognize that our focus has to be on jobs and education. As an introduction to these matters, I'd like to make some generalizations about research and its relation to job creation. This is not meant to be patronizing, and I'd certainly be happy for someone to call me on anything I say that they believe to be debatable or in error. That's the purpose of this community forum - as I understand it.