« Third greatest public university in the universe? | Main | The Farce That is Faculty Governance in the AHC Continues »

Making a Killing - The Death of Dan Markingson

Killing.png

From Mother Jones:

(to appear in September 2010 issues)

Clinical trials have become marketing exercises for Big Pharama- and cash-strapped universities are helping make the sale. Too bad for Dan Markingson.

It's not easy to work up a good feeling about the institution that destroyed your life, which may be why Mary Weiss initially seemed a little reluctant to meet me. "You can understand my hesitation to look other than with suspicion at anyone associated with the University of Minnesota," Mary wrote to me in an email. In 2003, Mary's 26-year-old son, Dan, was enrolled against her wishes in a psychiatric drug study at the University of Minnesota, where I teach medical ethics. Less than six months later, Dan was dead. I'd learned about his death from a deeply unsettling newspaper series by St. Paul Pioneer Press reporters Jeremy Olson and Paul Tosto that suggested he was coerced into a pharmaceutical-industry study from which the university stood to profit, but which provided him with inadequate care. Over the next few months, I talked to several university colleagues and administrators, trying to learn what had happened. Many of them dismissed the story as slanted and incomplete. Yet the more I examined the medical and court records, the more I became convinced that the problem was worse than the Pioneer Press had reported. The danger lies not just in the particular circumstances that led to Dan's death, but in a system of clinical research that has been thoroughly co-opted by market forces, so that many studies have become little more than covert instruments for promoting drugs.The study in which Dan died starkly illustrates the hazards of market-driven research and the inadequacy of our current oversight system to detect them. >

---------------------Article continues------------------

The complete article may be downloaded here.

In the event this link no longer works.

MakingAKilling.pdf