Brecht Analysis

The idea that people follow their traditions very closely in these plays is stimulating. Everyone on the mountain, followed the rules exactly. Normally people would be nervous in this kind of situation, but the teacher clearly outlined the steps of what was going to take place. In the first play, the boy sacrifices himself for his mother. The second play is more interesting, because the boy rationalizes his decision. He tries to explain to the others that he had made prior decisions based of the assumption that he would not get sick himself. Overall, all of the plays show a strict enforcement of culture and traditions.

This close adherence to tradition is also troubling in some aspects. It bothers me to see that all of the plays are Black and White. Either the boy sacrifices himself or makes the group turn back. There is no middle ground. Their traditions don't allow much flexibility. In essence, the people are stript of their free will. They justify their actions by using what has been done in the past. I just can't imagine throwing a boy off a valley and feeling little regret. On the other hand, the boy did essentially kill his mother by making the group turn back. In this case, I might have thrown him off!

Posted by bhak0015 at March 1, 2005 4:36 PM