Rehearsal, alack, alack, alack!

Today we had a very exciting rehearsal. I saw our production coming together, and it was exciting! Jacqui has found an excellent way to portray her character. In both of her roles, she utilizes space very well. Cindy continues to show her acting talent and dedication to the production. Her energy has helped jump start our production. Emily also did an excellent job portraying her character. Her motions were well calculated and created a great atmosphere between the characters. Her actions have also grown to accurately portray her character in a humorous nature. Alyssa seems determined at this point in the production. I feel like I can rely on her abilities to further enhance my character. All of our ideas are combining together to form an excellent production.

Posted by bhak0015 at 12:19 AM

Round 2 of Play Rehearsal

Jacqui

As a designer, Jacqui drew some beautiful sketches of our costumes. I can't wait to wear them. In this rehearsal we combined her acting with the surrounding space. The combination of her vocal skills and movement throughout the found space created a dramatic acting experience.

Emily

Once again, Emily was on time to rehearsal. This shows her dedication to our production. She certainly had some interesting ideas regarding the portrayal of the Moon. Her ideas inspire others to be creative as well.

Cindy

Cindy brought up a lot of ideas during rehearsal today. She made visual representations of her ideas. I thought this was an effective way of communicating your ideas to the group. I also noticed that her acting skills are more advanced than mine. I hope to learn some acting tips from her in the future.

Alyssa

Alyssa did a great job of directing today. She made an executive decision to change our found space, due to some birds. She also coached several of us on our acting methods. I like the way she incorporated our new space into our acting. She definitely has a sense of purpose and direction.

In conclusion, our group ROCKS once again! We are really getting into the flow of producing a production if you know what I mean. I feel like our ideas are all coming together to form this giant beautiful and funny scene!

Posted by bhak0015 at 12:02 AM

Peer Observations

Cindy

It is clear that Cindy has had past experience in the theatre. She has a lot of unique ideas that can make our play very unique. For example, she suggested that we could use an actual wall as a costume, which was an interesting idea. She comes to meetings full of ideas!

Alyssa

Where would we be without our leader? Alyssa has done an amazing job in organizing the group. We now have weekly meetings set up. Her ideas regarding the spine of our play are interesting. She encourages our group to think about the motive of our performance. What do we want it to accomplish?

Jacqui

Jacqui is full of new ideas as well. Her energy helps create a comfortable atmosphere. She brings out the life of the text. For example, she laughs at the jokes inside the play while we are reading it. This is very helpful, because it makes it more enjoyable for me to read the text. It is important to know how the audience will react to certain parts of the play.

Emily

And finally, last but not least, Emily has provided a lot to our group. She has a unique energy that creates an exciting environment during rehearsal. Her humor is always appreciated. She shows dedication to the play and concern for others. I find it hilarious when she complains about her homework. This just shows that our group is open to sharing our feelings with each other.

Overall, our group has great chemistry. I know our group has great potential. I am glad that we are open to the suggestions of others. Collaboration of ideas is the key to good theatre!

Posted by bhak0015 at 2:01 PM

Jones, Schechner, Bogart, Clurman

Jones mentions how everything on stage becomes a part of the life of the instant. The energy of the play creates an atmosphere. Form, color, and light can say things that no other medium can. A Midnight Summers Dream has a certain energy as well. This energy creates an atmosphere that is comedic. The play possesses a certain energy that makes it funny.

Schechner states that the “making of production” shows that we can change the interaction between the play and audience. The script should only serve as a guideline. We have the final decision to choose how the scene will look. The scene can be altered to allow for more or less interaction with the audience. Our plays environment is fictitious, so the audience will feel the presence of a fourth wall. However, the comedic nature of the play will allow the audience to interact more.

Bogart made some interesting comments in his article. I believe that the best way to “enter” into our production would be through violence. Now, I use this word in a different meaning. We should enter our play with a decisive nature. The audience should notice our entrance and become more aware of their surroundings. Decisiveness is the key ingredient to “enter” a production.

Clurman asserts that the theme must “involve the audience and serve as a tie that binds the stage artisans together. I believe our group has a lot of energy and is very enthusiastic. From my perspective the humor in our play is what binds us together. I would state that humor and seeing the good things instead of the bad is the theme of our play!

Posted by bhak0015 at 7:32 PM