F*** the Police

It seems like there are a lot of rap songs that deal with racial profiling and unjust treatment by figures of authority. Some of them go into further detail about how the primary mission of the local law enforcement is to wrongfully persecute as many people as possible. These are serious social issues in our society that need to be dealt with. Rap is not helping this. People who complain about getting speeding tickets tend to piss me off. There are signs along the road that say what the maximum speed is, and if you exceed that it's your own fault, not the fault of the cop that busted you. Complaining that the police are unfairly targeting your drug and weapon business strikes me as somewhat similar. The law is quite unambiguous about the legality of all varieties of drugs and weapons, so there is no reason to be surprised that figures of authority are out to enforce these laws. Unless I missed something and all these songs are actually about kilos of antacid and vitamins, reinforcing this stereotype is doing more to harm efforts against racial profiling and police brutality than good. As a white male, I cannot even pretend to understand the effects of racial profiling, but I know that reinforcing a negative stereotype is not a way to make things better. I am sure that some of those who are involved in illicit business are victims of circumstance and lack better options, so perhaps a veritable arms race between law enforcement and the aforementioned is not the best solution. Granted, in order to truly eliminate this, one would need to essentially get rid of most forms of illegal activity, which is an unrealistically lofty goal. In the meantime, we can at least avoid perpetuating the problem.

Wow this is an interesting point, I never really saw it this way. I agree that something needs to be done to stop the illegal activity happening and I agree that people need to be responsible for their own actions. However, we dont know in true detail whether or not there are some police officers that enjoy taking people (preferably black men) to jail.

I feel like everything you’re saying is so right. Almost 100 percent of the time, it’s not the cop’s fault for what you did. You put yourself in that situation and need to own up and take responsibility for your actions. I also agree with the point you made about how reinforcing a negative stereotype is not the way to make things any better. I also cannot relate to the topic that you’re addressing, but I think that it’s just kind of common sense I guess that reinforcing something negative is not going to make a positive.

I agree. I'm not a racist, but I hate the fact that whenever certain black people are accused for committing a crime, they say "It's because I'm black, isnt it?" No, it's not because you're black, it's because you committed a crime. Silly goose.