Pop by 'N Sync

Justin Timberlake and his posse of men who sing into microphones attached to their face and have above average musical abilities are singing, or more like complaining, in their video "pop" about the attention, or lack of, they receive for creating music that is relevant to girls sixteen and under. The irony here appears after a listener realizes they are going to "bring it til the end." I'll start by defining "end." In this pop boy band's case, the end came about eleven months after releasing the hit song "pop." Fortunately for JT, the end of his boy band meant the start of his solo career, where he not only won six Grammy Awards and four Emmy Awards, but also simultaneously became viewed as a man when he stopped doing hip thrusts with five other men, and later tore off an importance component of Janet Jackson's leather shirt at the Super Bowl... need I say more? Some may argue that JT's success is credited to his undeniable talent, but I would argue that talent alone isn't what made JT still, if not more, relevant from the start of career in 1995 until today. Justin did what every artist tries to do; he stayed relevant by following the demands of society and the listeners. JT was right in his sensational lyric from "pop" that states "we got the gift of melody we gonna bring it til the end." Grammatically correct or not, JT was the only member of 'N Sync who stayed true to his word. He saw the fallout of boy bands happening, and realized that his male listeners don't want to be ashamed of singing along to five other men singing about love and break-ups. He changed his musical styles just enough to appeal to a much larger audience that no longer only included young females. His brand changed from a young heartthrob to a man with much more than hip thrusting in his virtual toolbox. As a solo artist he not only incorporated other genres like hip-hop into his pop music, but also began songwriting and acting. This makes JT much more than a member of the dead form of music, the boy band, but a successful businessman who developed his brand alongside the demands of his fans. JT's career shows the success that follows changing your brand just enough to appeal to society's demands without ditching what makes him unique, and dare I say, awesome.

Justin Timberlake truly does show what brand changing can do for a career. I always found the fact that he could go from being so ridiculous to so amazing just by going solo. I mean I guess I personally, as the little sister to two older sisters, never saw the problem with enjoying boy bands when I was younger. Just like two years ago fourteen-year-old girls didn’t see the problem with obsessing over the Jonas Brothers. But it’s so true that when Justin decided to go solo and start making decisions that his mother would not approve of, it became so much more acceptable, whether you were a sixteen-year-old girl or not, to listen to his music and be a fan of him (whether teenage boys wanted to admit it or not). I find this kind of similar to Hannah Montana. She started out as a Disney star and a pop idol for grade-schoolers and tweens everywhere. But over time she decided to take advantage of “the best of both worlds” and change her identity over to Miley instead of Hannah, where she started singing more teen related songs and making bad decisions to prove that she was out of her tween phase. By doing all of this, she attracted a new audience of teens, both boys and girls.